BYU men’s track began its outdoor season with several standout performances this weekend at the Trojan Invitational and the California Multi’s Meet.
“We had an outstanding day today on the heels of yesterday,” head coach Ed Eyestone. “We had a number of what should be regional qualifiers. All in all, I think it was a great day all around. I’m pleased with all of our groups, our jumpers, sprinters, throwers and our distance guys all performed.“
Joshua Weirich set a personal best in the decathlon with 7412 points to take first place. Alex Ashworth recorded a mark of 14.98 meters in the triple jump to take second place. He also tied for third place in the long jump with a mark of 7.14 meters.
BYU had four of the top five finishers in the 1500 meters, with Evan Argyle taking first place in 3:51.65 and Dylan Shawhan finishing in second with a time of 3:52.01. Travis Fuller and Jonathan Brown took fourth and fifth place, respectively.
Mario Harper won the 400 meters with a time of 47.97. Korey Smith and Sean Adams placed second and third place in the 400 hurdles. Dakoda John and Zachary Blackham tied for second place in the high jump, both clearing 2.11 meters. Zachary Stetler took second in the discus with a mark of 51.41 meters and third in the shot put, throwing 17.33 meters.
The Cougars return to action next weekend at the prestigious Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in Austin, Texas.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 54
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 27
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game... 26