Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
DAY 3: The Utes donned pads for the first time this spring at a Saturday morning practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Head coach Kyle Whittingham said the defense is ahead of the offense — as is almost always the case this time of the year, he explained, particularly when some new things are being done offensively.
“So it’ll take some time for the offense to get up to speed. That was what we expected going in,” Whittingham said. “The tempo is starting to come around. It’s still not where it needs to be, but there’s a lot of ‘want-to’ with the players, which is the key. They’re trying hard.”
STANDOUTS: Whittingham noted the performances of running backs Troy McCormick and Devontae Booker.
“Those two guys are starting to emerge a little bit — as much as you can in three days and one day in gear,” Whittingham said.
The defense, as a whole, also drew praise for playing with a lot of passion and a lot of energy. Whittingham said linebacker Gionni Paul is becoming the leader of the group. He also mentioned that it’s good to have safety Brian Blechen back and credited the senior for making some plays. Eric Rowe drew recognition as well in the secondary.
NEXT UP: The Utes resume camp Tuesday on the practice field behind the Spence and Cleone Eccles Football Center from 3-5 p.m. The session is open to the public.
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 61
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 55
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 54
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 25
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 16