BYU tennis: Cougars overcome 3-0 deficit against Tigers, win 4-3
Despite falling behind 3-0, BYU men's tennis clinched a 4-3 comeback win over Pacific as Andrey Goryachkov defeated his singles opponent in West Coast Conference play Friday.
With the match knotted at 3-3, the sophomore took the first set, 6-3, over Daniel Alameh before losing the second, 1-6. In the third, Goryachkov edged his opponent, 7-5, giving the Cougars (6-9, 1-0 WCC) their first conference win.
"It was great to get a win today," BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. "The guys battled hard. Being down after the doubles point, it was great to come back and get the win, especially on my birthday."
The Tigers (7-8, 1-2 WCC) quickly gained momentum, taking the doubles point and then victories at fourth and third singles for the 3-0 lead.
Freshman Jacob Sullivan posted BYU's first point with his win at No. 6 singles in straight sets over Lance Ngo, 7-5, 6-4.
Junior Francis Sargeant followed with the second Cougar win of the day. The captain came back from 5-2 to take the first set in tiebreakers, 7-6(4), over Sem Verbeek. Sargeant then sealed the win, taking the second set, 7-5.
With the match at 3-2 in favor of Pacific, BYU needed two wins to complete the improbable comeback. Freshman Matthew Pearce stepped up at fifth singles for the huge comeback. After falling 5-7 in the first set to Alex Hamilton, the Provo native stole the next two, 6-3, 6-4, tying the match at three apiece while setting up Goryachkov's match-clinching win at the second slot.
"At this point I don't care how ugly or how pretty the match was. It's important to get in the win column," coach Pearce said. "Right now we have a perfect record in conference."
The Cougars stay in California for their second WCC matchup against Saint Mary's on Saturday at noon PDT.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- BYU football notebook: Utah State holds good...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 53
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 42
- BYU to battle in-state rival Utah State... 29
- Defense leads BYU to dominating Senior... 21
- What you may have missed:... 13
- Cougars looking to complete perfect... 12
- Dick Harmon: Kaufusi's second straight... 12
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks... 11