BYU football: Cougar program holds semiannual coaches clinic
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU held a coaches clinic Friday that was attended by more than 300 coaches from around the country. Ten states were represented, with prep coaches flying in from places as far away as Alabama to receive instruction while sharing ideas to improve their programs.
“The coaches clinic was another fantastic day,” said BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall. “(There were) excellent presenters, great attendance, and a lot of enthusiasm for our program, and it was a great way to end it with a good practice.”
Most of the coaches from out-of-state schools came as a result of establishing contact with Cougar coaches after having their athletes recruited by the program. Two of those coaches were Josh Niblett (Hoover HS, Ala.), who coached recent signee Jaterrius Gulley, and Kraig Broach (Heritage HS, Calif.), who coached Sione Takitaki.
“It’s a fantastic opportunity for them to learn about BYU, but also for our in-state coaches to learn about great out-of-state programs,” Mendenhall said.
As for Friday's practice itself, Mendenhall was pleased with his team, feeling the Cougars are showing some positive characteristics heading into the final stretch of spring camp.
“They're competitive (and) they work hard every day," Mendenhall said. "They're very consistent, they want to be good, and they're hungry. So I think they're anxious to have a better season than 8-5. They want double-digits and I think they want national exposure and I think they want all the things BYU stands for, and I think they're starting to realize how hard it's going to be and the work it takes to do it."
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 108
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 65
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 31
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 22
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 21
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 13
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C.... 12