BYU football: Cougar program holds semiannual coaches clinic
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU held a coaches clinic Friday that was attended by more than 300 coaches from around the country. Ten states were represented, with prep coaches flying in from places as far away as Alabama to receive instruction while sharing ideas to improve their programs.
“The coaches clinic was another fantastic day,” said BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall. “(There were) excellent presenters, great attendance, and a lot of enthusiasm for our program, and it was a great way to end it with a good practice.”
Most of the coaches from out-of-state schools came as a result of establishing contact with Cougar coaches after having their athletes recruited by the program. Two of those coaches were Josh Niblett (Hoover HS, Ala.), who coached recent signee Jaterrius Gulley, and Kraig Broach (Heritage HS, Calif.), who coached Sione Takitaki.
“It’s a fantastic opportunity for them to learn about BYU, but also for our in-state coaches to learn about great out-of-state programs,” Mendenhall said.
As for Friday's practice itself, Mendenhall was pleased with his team, feeling the Cougars are showing some positive characteristics heading into the final stretch of spring camp.
“They're competitive (and) they work hard every day," Mendenhall said. "They're very consistent, they want to be good, and they're hungry. So I think they're anxious to have a better season than 8-5. They want double-digits and I think they want national exposure and I think they want all the things BYU stands for, and I think they're starting to realize how hard it's going to be and the work it takes to do it."
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34