BYU football: Cougar program holds semiannual coaches clinic
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU held a coaches clinic Friday that was attended by more than 300 coaches from around the country. Ten states were represented, with prep coaches flying in from places as far away as Alabama to receive instruction while sharing ideas to improve their programs.
“The coaches clinic was another fantastic day,” said BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall. “(There were) excellent presenters, great attendance, and a lot of enthusiasm for our program, and it was a great way to end it with a good practice.”
Most of the coaches from out-of-state schools came as a result of establishing contact with Cougar coaches after having their athletes recruited by the program. Two of those coaches were Josh Niblett (Hoover HS, Ala.), who coached recent signee Jaterrius Gulley, and Kraig Broach (Heritage HS, Calif.), who coached Sione Takitaki.
“It’s a fantastic opportunity for them to learn about BYU, but also for our in-state coaches to learn about great out-of-state programs,” Mendenhall said.
As for Friday's practice itself, Mendenhall was pleased with his team, feeling the Cougars are showing some positive characteristics heading into the final stretch of spring camp.
“They're competitive (and) they work hard every day," Mendenhall said. "They're very consistent, they want to be good, and they're hungry. So I think they're anxious to have a better season than 8-5. They want double-digits and I think they want national exposure and I think they want all the things BYU stands for, and I think they're starting to realize how hard it's going to be and the work it takes to do it."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19