Shipp, as a qualified doctor, delivered more than 6,000 babies, taught nursing to hundreds of women, raised a large family — and fit in "other things" that she really wanted to do — such as writing and publishing a sizable book of very admirable poetry, titled "Life Lines."
President David O. McKay loved to memorize poetry, so it was his way to arise around 4 each morning, during which time he would often skim-read up to two books a day (see "Our Refined Heavenly Home," by Elder Douglas L. Callister, BYU Magazine, winter 2007). He was able to quote 1,000 poems from memory.
Life is happening to us — not time. Conquer time so that it does not conquer you is a statement of power. It is easy to let time bewilder or overwhelm us — but the challenge is to make it work for us.
I like this beautiful counsel: "What do I cherish enough to choose to do with my time?" Are we selling our birthright of mortal time for mere baubles, for a pittance?
We are encouraged by statements in scripture, such as these words in Alma 40:8, " all is as one day with God, and time only is measured unto men."
Or this statement in Revelation 10:5-6: "And the angel lifted up his hand to heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever and ever that there should be time no longer."
We can, we know, look forward to wonders and to blessings that we cannot right now comprehend. But this is Our Day — our day of mortal challenge. Let us encompass our days in wisdom and power — that we might rejoice in the time the Lord has given us.
Sources: "While Others Slept," autobiography of Ellis Shipp, compiled by daughter Ellis Shipp Musser, Bookcraft, 1962, p. 90; "Heroines of the Restoration," edited by Barbara B. Smith and Blythe Darlyn Thatcher, Bookcraft, 1997, p. 236-237; Our Refined Heavenly Home," by Elder Douglas L. Callister, BYU Magazine, winter 2007; BrainyQuote.com, "Time Quotes"
Susan Evans McCloud is author of more than 40 books and has published screenplays, a book of poetry and lyrics, including two songs in the LDS hymnbook. She has six children. She blogs at susanevansmccloud.blogspot.com. Email: email@example.com
- Jewish woman launches modest online...
- Why I make my kids go to church
- Elder Holland calls on Christians to unite to...
- LDS Church dedicates Deseret Mill and Pasta...
- LDS university president receives national...
- LDS girl's imagination takes viewers of a new...
- Athletes, artists and LDS apostles: 46...
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: 'Faith, Family and...
- Officer in parade controversy speaks... 260
- Elder Holland calls on Christians to... 82
- Defending the Faith: Even in science,... 63
- Prophets and presidents: 11 noteworthy... 23
- Why I make my kids go to church 21
- LDS missionaries distribute 2,400... 19
- LDS university president receives... 16
- Number of senior Mormon missionaries... 7