Former Ute Steve Smith is pulled over by police during radio interview ... and he stays on the show
Former Ute wide receiver Steve Smith has had an NFL career filled with headline-worthy moments, from his on-field success in becoming the Carolina Panthers' all-time leading receiver to his actions that have at times led to Smith being labeled a hothead.
Now there is another strange — and funny — chapter to add to his unforgettable pro career.
The enigmatic Smith — signed by the Baltimore Ravens last week after being released by the Panthers following a 13-year career in Carolina — was on "The Dan Le Batard Show" on ESPN radio recently, doing a phone interview. As he was responding to a question about which players in the NFL he dislikes, at around the 1:24 mark in the video above this dialogue occurred:
Smith: “Oh see, you guys got me in trouble. I’m getting pulled over by the police.”
Le Batard: “Right now? While we are talking to you?”
Le Batard: “Were you speeding?”
Smith: “No, I’m not speeding. I guess I’m on my cellphone. How about I keep you on hold while I go through the procedure?”
Le Batard: "And you'll tell us about it when you come back?"
After about three minutes, Smith rejoined the show. During the interim, show co-host Bomani Jones suggested there was more than just a cellphone issue that led to Smith being pulled over. "It sounds like they're just messin' with him," Jones said. "Sounds like a man his height (Smith is 5-foot-9), driving a car that nice, they don't believe it's his."
When Smith returned to the show, at the 4:25 mark, he explained the encounter:
Le Batard: “You must have gotten out of the ticket if you’re back that fast, right?”
Smith: “Hey, when you don’t have any warrants or prior arrests, you know, it goes a long way with being a good citizen.”
Co-host Jon "Stugotz" Weiner: “Did you drop the Steve Smith card at all?”
Smith: “No I didn’t. My ID does that." (This response elicited laughter from the hosts.)
Weiner: “Does your ID say 'NFL wide receiver'? Is the cop a football fan?”
Smith: “No, my ID is cleared as no priors, so I was good.”
Le Batard: “What did you get in trouble for? Being on the cellphone?”
Smith: “Nah, you know. Uhh, hey, a brother driving a nice car you know, sometimes they got to make sure it all matches up.”
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns from...
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes hybrid...
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC Dec. 3 at...
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might hear...
- Video: Former Ute Steve Smith takes teen with...
- BYU football announces full spring fireside...
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300 football...
- Ones that got away: Players who left the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 58
- BYU receives commitment from Georgia... 48
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 42
- BYU volleyball: Cougars earn No. 1 seed... 26
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 13
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars close out... 12