Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said Thursday’s practice was “more of the same” when compared to Tuesday’s spring opener.
“Too many drops today. That was probably the thing that stood out as a negative — is the dropped balls,” he explained. “But the energy’s there, the tempo’s there. The focus. They’re trying. It’s just a matter of cleaning up some of the timing, which is expected the first, second day out. That’s going to be the case.”
The process of separating things, Whittingham said, will begin when the Utes put the pads on Saturday.
STANDOUTS: Whittingham thought the secondary played well. Safety Eric Rowe played some cornerback — an experiment that Whittingham said would continue throughout the spring — and made some plays. Defensive backs Reggie Porter and Justin Thomas also drew praise.
THOMPSON IN TOWN: Quarterback Kendal Thompson, who is transferring to Utah from Oklahoma, is checking out the Utes’ practices this week. He’ll graduate in May and enroll at Utah as a graduate student this summer with two years of eligibility.
“Kendal and his family are in town. They spent the week out here,” said Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen. “He’s been at practice every day. He’s been on spring break, so he’s come to join us.”
Utah officials have not allowed Thompson to speak with the media.
NEXT UP: The Utes are scheduled to practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday from 10 a.m.-noon. The session is open to the public.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 23