Woman shot to death in her Toquerville home identified
TOQUERVILLE, Washington County — The Washington County Sheriff's Office on Thursday released the name of a woman found shot to death inside her Toquerville home.
The body of Geraldine Bommarito, 58, was found inside her home early Wednesday.
A 17-year-old boy, who police say knew the woman, was arrested Wednesday and booked into juvenile detention for investigation of burglary. He is considered a suspect in the killing, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.
Neighbors say the teenager lives just down the street from the slain woman.
The incident began just after midnight Wednesday when deputies responded to a report of a residential burglary where guns and other items were stolen. They soon received a tip that a 17-year-old was seen at a gas station in Washington City. Investigators were given a description of a possible vehicle and a license plate number.
They traced the owner of the vehicle to Bommarito, about a block away from the burglary. She was found dead inside her house from a gunshot wound, according to police.
About 12:15 p.m., the boy and an acquaintance were spotted walking near Springdale. The teen was arrested. There was no word Thursday whether the acquaintance is also considered a suspect.
Bommarito's car was later found in a "remote area near Springdale," according to the sheriff's office.
"The vehicle had been totally consumed by fire and detectives are still in the process of making a complete identification," the sheriff's office stated.
Detectives were also still trying to determine Thursday if anything was taken from Bommarito's house other than her car.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 57
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 40
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- School leaders look for solutions to... 22
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12