Woman shot to death in her Toquerville home identified
TOQUERVILLE, Washington County — The Washington County Sheriff's Office on Thursday released the name of a woman found shot to death inside her Toquerville home.
The body of Geraldine Bommarito, 58, was found inside her home early Wednesday.
A 17-year-old boy, who police say knew the woman, was arrested Wednesday and booked into juvenile detention for investigation of burglary. He is considered a suspect in the killing, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.
Neighbors say the teenager lives just down the street from the slain woman.
The incident began just after midnight Wednesday when deputies responded to a report of a residential burglary where guns and other items were stolen. They soon received a tip that a 17-year-old was seen at a gas station in Washington City. Investigators were given a description of a possible vehicle and a license plate number.
They traced the owner of the vehicle to Bommarito, about a block away from the burglary. She was found dead inside her house from a gunshot wound, according to police.
About 12:15 p.m., the boy and an acquaintance were spotted walking near Springdale. The teen was arrested. There was no word Thursday whether the acquaintance is also considered a suspect.
Bommarito's car was later found in a "remote area near Springdale," according to the sheriff's office.
"The vehicle had been totally consumed by fire and detectives are still in the process of making a complete identification," the sheriff's office stated.
Detectives were also still trying to determine Thursday if anything was taken from Bommarito's house other than her car.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- District attorney asks A.G. to consider...
- 'Overwhelming' community, national support...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- Two killed in high-speed, fiery crash into...
- 2 hospitalized after 6-car pileup in Centerville
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 45
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 31
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19