Woman shot to death in her Toquerville home identified
TOQUERVILLE, Washington County — The Washington County Sheriff's Office on Thursday released the name of a woman found shot to death inside her Toquerville home.
The body of Geraldine Bommarito, 58, was found inside her home early Wednesday.
A 17-year-old boy, who police say knew the woman, was arrested Wednesday and booked into juvenile detention for investigation of burglary. He is considered a suspect in the killing, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.
Neighbors say the teenager lives just down the street from the slain woman.
The incident began just after midnight Wednesday when deputies responded to a report of a residential burglary where guns and other items were stolen. They soon received a tip that a 17-year-old was seen at a gas station in Washington City. Investigators were given a description of a possible vehicle and a license plate number.
They traced the owner of the vehicle to Bommarito, about a block away from the burglary. She was found dead inside her house from a gunshot wound, according to police.
About 12:15 p.m., the boy and an acquaintance were spotted walking near Springdale. The teen was arrested. There was no word Thursday whether the acquaintance is also considered a suspect.
Bommarito's car was later found in a "remote area near Springdale," according to the sheriff's office.
"The vehicle had been totally consumed by fire and detectives are still in the process of making a complete identification," the sheriff's office stated.
Detectives were also still trying to determine Thursday if anything was taken from Bommarito's house other than her car.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14