Woman shot to death in her Toquerville home identified
TOQUERVILLE, Washington County — The Washington County Sheriff's Office on Thursday released the name of a woman found shot to death inside her Toquerville home.
The body of Geraldine Bommarito, 58, was found inside her home early Wednesday.
A 17-year-old boy, who police say knew the woman, was arrested Wednesday and booked into juvenile detention for investigation of burglary. He is considered a suspect in the killing, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.
Neighbors say the teenager lives just down the street from the slain woman.
The incident began just after midnight Wednesday when deputies responded to a report of a residential burglary where guns and other items were stolen. They soon received a tip that a 17-year-old was seen at a gas station in Washington City. Investigators were given a description of a possible vehicle and a license plate number.
They traced the owner of the vehicle to Bommarito, about a block away from the burglary. She was found dead inside her house from a gunshot wound, according to police.
About 12:15 p.m., the boy and an acquaintance were spotted walking near Springdale. The teen was arrested. There was no word Thursday whether the acquaintance is also considered a suspect.
Bommarito's car was later found in a "remote area near Springdale," according to the sheriff's office.
"The vehicle had been totally consumed by fire and detectives are still in the process of making a complete identification," the sheriff's office stated.
Detectives were also still trying to determine Thursday if anything was taken from Bommarito's house other than her car.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12