Woman shot to death in her Toquerville home identified
TOQUERVILLE, Washington County — The Washington County Sheriff's Office on Thursday released the name of a woman found shot to death inside her Toquerville home.
The body of Geraldine Bommarito, 58, was found inside her home early Wednesday.
A 17-year-old boy, who police say knew the woman, was arrested Wednesday and booked into juvenile detention for investigation of burglary. He is considered a suspect in the killing, according to a statement from the sheriff's office.
Neighbors say the teenager lives just down the street from the slain woman.
The incident began just after midnight Wednesday when deputies responded to a report of a residential burglary where guns and other items were stolen. They soon received a tip that a 17-year-old was seen at a gas station in Washington City. Investigators were given a description of a possible vehicle and a license plate number.
They traced the owner of the vehicle to Bommarito, about a block away from the burglary. She was found dead inside her house from a gunshot wound, according to police.
About 12:15 p.m., the boy and an acquaintance were spotted walking near Springdale. The teen was arrested. There was no word Thursday whether the acquaintance is also considered a suspect.
Bommarito's car was later found in a "remote area near Springdale," according to the sheriff's office.
"The vehicle had been totally consumed by fire and detectives are still in the process of making a complete identification," the sheriff's office stated.
Detectives were also still trying to determine Thursday if anything was taken from Bommarito's house other than her car.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Report: Tourism spending in Utah grew to...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8
- San Juan County Commissioner appeals... 8