Southern Virginia names BYU graduate assistant Jason Walker as football defensive coordinator
BUENA VISTA, Va. — Former BYU graduate assistant coach Jason Walker has been named Southern Virginia University football defensive coordinator on Thursday.
“I am thrilled that Jason has accepted the offer to become our team’s defensive coordinator,” newly hired Tyler Hughes said in a SVU news release. “He brings tremendous experience with him from his time at BYU where he learned from some of the best in this business. Jason has a great desire and the ability to help the young men at Southern Virginia become great football players and even better people outside of the game.”
At BYU, Walker prepared scouting reports, tagged film and assisted the coaching staff in several capacities, including recruiting.
“I’m excited to be here,” Walker said. “I really enjoy the feeling on campus and the type of students that attend this university. It’s a great time to be a part of the program heading into a new conference and the positive energy that comes with that. I’m also excited to implement the concepts I learned at BYU and ask the young men at Southern Virginia to give the same amount of effort as we did in Provo.”
Walker, who played collegiately at Snow College and Utah State, served as an assistant coach at Sky View and Ben Lomond high schools in northern Utah.
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU matchup...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Best of the West: Arizona back to top seed...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 107
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 80
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 40
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 38
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 35
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 33