Southern Virginia names BYU graduate assistant Jason Walker as football defensive coordinator
BUENA VISTA, Va. — Former BYU graduate assistant coach Jason Walker has been named Southern Virginia University football defensive coordinator on Thursday.
“I am thrilled that Jason has accepted the offer to become our team’s defensive coordinator,” newly hired Tyler Hughes said in a SVU news release. “He brings tremendous experience with him from his time at BYU where he learned from some of the best in this business. Jason has a great desire and the ability to help the young men at Southern Virginia become great football players and even better people outside of the game.”
At BYU, Walker prepared scouting reports, tagged film and assisted the coaching staff in several capacities, including recruiting.
“I’m excited to be here,” Walker said. “I really enjoy the feeling on campus and the type of students that attend this university. It’s a great time to be a part of the program heading into a new conference and the positive energy that comes with that. I’m also excited to implement the concepts I learned at BYU and ask the young men at Southern Virginia to give the same amount of effort as we did in Provo.”
Walker, who played collegiately at Snow College and Utah State, served as an assistant coach at Sky View and Ben Lomond high schools in northern Utah.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 91
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 4
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 3
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies... 1
- One week left to vote for favorite... 0
- High school soccer: Bingham rallies... 0