Utah Jazz: Silver-lining setback as Jazz lose to Grizzlies after comeback attempt
Things unraveled quickly for the Jazz after they managed to equalize the score heading into the final five minutes.
Grizzlies power forward Zach Randolph looked like a big lineman intercepting a pass at the line of scrimmage when he picked off an errant Garrett toss, leading to a Tayshaun Prince layup to regain Memphis the lead for good at 86-84 with 4:51 remaining.
Memphis followed that with an inside Z-Bo score and a Conley floater to go back up by six less than a minute later.
From there, the Jazz, who’ve played nine times on the road and 13 games overall in the past three weeks, looked more cooked than the fall-off-the-bone BBQ ribs on Beale Street.
“That’s the time when (our) guys stepped up and contested shots. We got locked in,” said Memphis coach Dave Joerger, who complimented Utah for being “a team that always plays hard, right from the first tip to the end” in his pregame comments.
Randolph finished with 21 points and 11 rebounds and center Marc Gasol contributed 20 points and 10 rebounds for a 40-27 Memphis team that is trying to stave off Phoenix (39-29) for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
“They showed what experience means in this league,” Corbin said.
Although his team, which has now lost 11 of 12, could desperately use a win, the youthful Jazz had to settle for a moral victory that came with a rally.
“It’s a good thing that we came back,” Kanter said. “It’s a bad thing that we couldn’t keep up. Next time we need to do a better job.”
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for fouling strategy
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 102
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 64
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22