Matt Gade, Deseret News
SANDY — Real Salt Lake newcomer Luke Mulholland is taking full advantage of the opportunities that have presented themselves to the midfielder these past few weeks.
A disallowed goal in the season opener was made whole last weekend in San Jose when Mulholland found the back of the net while also logging a full 90 minutes for RSL coach Jeff Cassar.
“Delighted the goal came just after the disallowed one,” said Mulholland. “Really happy about getting on the score sheet, and obviously getting my first start under the belt. Looking forward to the next few games coming up.”
Mulholland was thrust into Cassar’s starting 11 at San Jose to fill in for midfielder Javier Morales, who was suffering from some lingering back issues. The start came as sort of a surprise to the English midfielder, but he'll be ready again if he's asked to step in again this weekend.
“I think I only started because Javi was injured, so I think it goes back to whether Javi is going to be fit for the team by Saturday,” said Mulholland. “Obviously it’s always going to be nice if I could start, but if I don’t then I’ll be ready to come off the bench whenever Jeff asks for me.”
INJURY REPORT: Through just two regular-season games, this RSL squad is sure banged up.
Sebastian Velasquez and Aaron Maund are both suffering from hamstring injuries that will force the pair to miss Saturday’s home opener. Forwards Robbie Findley and Devon Sandoval are both recovering from offseason surgery and will also miss Saturday’s bout with L.A.
On a positive note, Chris Schuler has put in two full training sessions this week and is likely questionable for Saturday.
“It’s a long season and we don’t want them to stay injured, so we’re trying to be careful,” said Cassar. “Robbie’s a little bit further away, but Schuler’s starting to get into full training session, so we’re really happy about that.”
Follow Conner on Twitter: TheConner88
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 27
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25