Utah State star Brian Green spent year coaching after returning from Mormon mission
Green is using his graduate assistant position to apply for USU's one-year Master of Business Administration program next fall.
"I want to be in business; I would love to use my Spanish, but the ultimate goal would be to be able to help people through business and lead. I feel like what I learned through sports as far as teamwork, as far as leadership and helping people achieve their goals, I feel like I can do that in a different type of aspect now."
He spent travel time a little differently in his new role, using bus and airplane rides to mentally prepare for his next academic test rather than the next athletic one.
Charla Green said her son was not a focused student before his mission, doing enough to stay eligible, but not placing a high priority on school work.
That's changed now.
"When things get hard like in his classes, it seems a little bit easier for him to take that on because he did have that mission that was so hard for him," she said. "Now I think it's a little bit easier for him, everything that he's having to do right now, which is really hard, trying to get into a graduate program and having to travel with the team."
Brian Green says serving a mission for the LDS Church is both similar to and different from helping coach a basketball team. He knows he's changed, but not so much in terms of appearance or personality.
"As far as Elder Green and Brian Green," he said, "I'm still the same person, but what I'm focusing on is different."
And yes, he sometimes wore his mission suit during games.
Tavin Stucki is a senior journalism student at Utah State University and editor-in-chief of the Utah Statesman, the Aggie campus newspaper. Twitter: stuckiaggies EMAIL: email@example.com
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS Church...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Ebola outbreak prompts evacuation of LDS...
- Defending the Faith: But what of those who...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- IRS agrees to investigate churches that...
- 10 reasons religious education belongs in school
- IRS agrees to investigate churches that... 34
- Defending the Faith: But what of those... 34
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 30
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 21
- 10 reasons religious education belongs... 21
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 19
- First two stakes mark milestone as LDS... 17
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 9