Utah State star Brian Green spent year coaching after returning from Mormon mission
Green is using his graduate assistant position to apply for USU's one-year Master of Business Administration program next fall.
"I want to be in business; I would love to use my Spanish, but the ultimate goal would be to be able to help people through business and lead. I feel like what I learned through sports as far as teamwork, as far as leadership and helping people achieve their goals, I feel like I can do that in a different type of aspect now."
He spent travel time a little differently in his new role, using bus and airplane rides to mentally prepare for his next academic test rather than the next athletic one.
Charla Green said her son was not a focused student before his mission, doing enough to stay eligible, but not placing a high priority on school work.
That's changed now.
"When things get hard like in his classes, it seems a little bit easier for him to take that on because he did have that mission that was so hard for him," she said. "Now I think it's a little bit easier for him, everything that he's having to do right now, which is really hard, trying to get into a graduate program and having to travel with the team."
Brian Green says serving a mission for the LDS Church is both similar to and different from helping coach a basketball team. He knows he's changed, but not so much in terms of appearance or personality.
"As far as Elder Green and Brian Green," he said, "I'm still the same person, but what I'm focusing on is different."
And yes, he sometimes wore his mission suit during games.
Tavin Stucki is a senior journalism student at Utah State University and editor-in-chief of the Utah Statesman, the Aggie campus newspaper. Twitter: stuckiaggies EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 35
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 16
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 12
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU... 5
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Over half a million people attended... 4