Rep. Chris Stewart faces GOP challengers in 2nd District
Tom Smart, Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Rep. Chris Stewart filed for re-election Wednesday, but he won't be the only Republican running in Utah's 2nd Congressional District.
At least two other GOP members are looking to unseat the first-term congressman. Democratic state Sen. Luz Robles, of Salt Lake City, also is in the race.
"We knew that when I decided to run two years ago that this was more than a year effort, certainly more than a one-term effort," Stewart said. "I think we're in a fight for the heart and soul of our country, and it's going to take us a little while to fix that."
Stewart said he isn't worried about the intra-party challenge. He said he wants voters to evaluate him on his background and experience as a leader in Washington, D.C., and whether he's represented conservative values.
"I think we can make a pretty good case that we've done a good job so far," Stewart said. "But we're certainly prepared for a primary if that's the case. I don't think that will happen, but I guess we'll let the delegates decide."
Republican Larry Meyers, a St. George attorney, announced Wednesday he is running for the seat. He said Stewart must be held accountable for his voting record.
Meyers said his top goals in Congress would be to "work for a return to limited, constitutional government, to stop illegal immigration and amnesty for illegal aliens, and to protect citizens’ God-given liberties, including religious freedom, privacy and the right to bear arms."
The government has gotten too big and too powerful, he said.
"We need a congressman who will vote to cut government back, not keep it growing," Meyers said.
He is active in GOP politics as a volunteer and county, state and national delegate. Meyers helped organize the Southern Utah Coalition for Life, the Citizens Council on Illegal Immigration and the Dixie Republican Forum.
Republican Vaughn Hatton, Constitution Party member Shaun McCausland and unaffiliated candidate Bill Barron have also filed in the 2nd District.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Charges: Man murdered woman who had been...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 35
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 28
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 12