Walt Disney Pictures, Pixar Animation Studios
Disney has officially added two more sequels to its roster. One, a follow-up fans have been interested in since 2004, and the other – well, the new “Cars” area at Disneyland is pretty cool, isn’t it?
According to Bob Iger, chief executive officer at Disney, Brad Bird is actively developing a new story for “The Incredibles,” while development for a third chapter in the “Cars” franchise is also racing forward.
Since being acquired by Disney many Pixar properties have become vehicles for additional movies, and “Cars” now being the second to become a trilogy. But Bird has been reluctant to approach another adventure with his superheroic family, famously explaining to Movies.com in 2011:
“I think the reason it hasn’t (happened) yet is because the studio would like me to do it, if there were another ‘Incredibles.’ And I’ve told them that I’m not really friendly to have someone else take away my child. I would like to think that I have several good ideas that could be incorporated into a next ‘Incredibles,’ but I don’t have a whole movie yet, and the last thing I want to do is do it just because it would open big, or something like that.”
Recently however, Bird seemed closer to having a “whole movie,” telling THR in 2013:
“I have been thinking about it. People think that I have not been, but I have. Because I love those characters and love that world. I am stroking my chin and scratching my head. I have many, many elements that I think would work really well in another ('Incredibles') film, and if I can get ‘em to click all together, I would probably wanna do that.”
Bird taking years to find his next “Incredibles” story will lend some credibility to the project, while obviously a similar consideration has not been extended to the upcoming “Cars” movie.
What that means for each property, as always, is up for debate. But for me, if we can take another slow ride through Radiator Springs, forget “Cars 2” ever happened, and spend another evening listening to a police scanner with Lucious Best and Bob Parr, I’ll be in a ticket line for both of these while humming “The Incredibles” theme.
Travis has been covering movie news, film reviews and live events for Deseret News and KSL.com since 2010, and currently co-hosts the FlicksJunkies podcast. You can contact Travis at email@example.com
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an...
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash your hair?
- The Clean Cut: Musician's movie theater...
- Motherhood Matters: 4 ways to help your...
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Beating the odds: Trip to the White House...
- From Russia with love: Italian swimmer...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical is an... 107
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living... 3
- Beating the odds: Trip to the White... 3
- Erin Stewart: Put down the phone and drive 2
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash... 2
- UTubers: Jenny Oaks Baker and family... 2
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team... 2
- Mormon thrill ride creator still... 2