Frank Micelotta, Frank Micelotta/Invision/AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson will give the 2014 Tanner Lecture on Human Values, sponsored by the University of Utah's Tanner Humanities Center. The event is Wednesday, March 26, 7 p.m. in Kingsbury Hall.
Tyson's sold-out lecture, "Science as a Way of Knowing," will be broadcast live to the Marriott Library's Gould Auditorium, 295 S. 1500 East, the Social and Behavioral Science Lecture Hall, 392 S. 1530 East, and the Social Work Building Auditorium, 395 S. 1500 East, on the U. campus. Broadcasts are free and open to the public, with doors opening at 6 p.m.
In his lecture, Tyson makes the case for science as a way to understand human values and explores how the scientific process is critical for comprehending the world and universe. He argues it is the most rigorous means to discover elusive answers to questions large and small.
"Tyson is a key voice for promoting scientific exploration as a vital component of humanity's drive for understanding," said Bob Goldberg, professor of history and director of the Tanner Humanities Center.
Tyson is the director of the Hayden Planetarium and a member of the Department of Astrophysics at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. His research interests are primarily related to the structure of the Milky Way galaxy and the formation of stars, supernovas and dwarf galaxies.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18