Rahe, however, kept tabs on Berry during his time at Cal State Monterey Bay, which included being named a Division II All-American his sophomore season. With endorsement from Lillard, a player Berry always looked up to growing up, getting him to Weber State from Monterey Bay was an easy sell.
Originally, Berry had visions of playing alongside Lillard during his senior season, but Lillard declared himself for the NBA draft after his scintillating junior season.
Though the two never played in a game together during their time at Weber State, they practiced together countless hours at the Dee Events Center and Lillard made a lasting impression on Berry on and off the court.
“He always treated everybody the same, down to the coaches, down to the managers, down to the people that get us watch, down to the people that wash our clothes. He was just a great genuine person. There wasn’t nobody that he treated differently,” said Berry.
On the court, Berry said, “I’ve never seen anybody work harder than him. Hard work pays off. When you come to Weber State, you’ve got to work hard because the coach isn’t going to let you get away with just being average, they’re going to keep pushing you.”
Rahe’s been pushing Berry for three years now, and the reward is a chance to play in the NCAA tournament this Friday.
The hard work should lead to many more rewards for Berry, who said simply putting food on the table for his son was one of his goals when signing with Weber State.
Three years later, those ambitions have swelled.
“I envision myself being a coach. I love kids, I love coaching. I know the game a lot just ’cause I’ve been around it so much. I love working out with kids, coaching them, watching them grow and have fun,” said Berry. “Hopefully I can start an AAU team and coach my son and develop him into being a great young man and getting a Division I scholarship.”
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45