Count My Vote withdraws initiative petition for direct primary elections
Rick Bowmer, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Count My Vote leaders delivered a letter to the lieutenant governor's office Tuesday officially withdrawing their ballot initiative for direct primary elections.
Backers of the initiative agreed to drop their petition drive after the Legislature passed a bill creating an alternative path to the primary ballot outside Utah's unique caucus and convention system for choosing candidates for public office.
Under SB54, the system will stay in place but allow candidates to get on the ballot by gathering a requisite number of signatures for the office sought. It also lets unaffiliated voters participate in Republican primaries, which were open only to registered party members.
Gov. Gary Herbert signed the bill last week.
The first direct primary elections in Utah will be June 2016.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12