Eric Millerberg gets 6-years-to-life sentence in 'reckless' death of baby sitter

Mother says she cries over daughter's death daily

Published: Tuesday, March 18 2014 3:55 p.m. MDT

OGDEN — Dawn Miera stood in front of a judge Tuesday and tried to explain how the loss of her 16-year-old daughter changed and affected her life and her family.

She said she cries over Alexis Rasmussen every day. She sometimes won't drop her other children off at school, fearing she might not see them again.

She has to tell her 7-year-old that no amount of wishing on shooting stars will bring Alexis back. She said the girl is at least relieved that her older sister can't be killed again.

"I will never be as happy as I was when she was more than just a memory," Miera said. "Something as small as her empty chair at the dinner table can send me spiraling into sadness. We had to create a new normal because, even though one of the most amazing people in the world is gone, time goes on."

She asked that the man responsible for her daughter's death, Eric Millerberg, be kept in prison where he can't hurt any one else. Second District Judge Scott Hadley complied, sentencing Millerberg, 38, to at least six years and up to life in prison — the maximum sentence available.

"This homicide it is not a typical one, if there is such a thing," Hadley said. "Intentionally injecting a young lady with dangerous drugs multiple times … it's just beyond reckless."

The judge ordered Millerberg to spend five years to life in prison for child abuse homicide, a first-degree felony; one to 15 years for obstructing justice, a second-degree felony; and two terms of zero to five years for both unlawful sexual conduct with a 16- or 17-year-old and abuse or desecration of a human body, third-degree felonies.

The judge ordered the sentences to run consecutive to each other.

"(Alexis) was simply an immature victim that you took advantage of after you injected her with drugs," the judge told Millerberg. "Frankly, the conduct that bothers me the most was the conduct after, that things could have been done to make it less horrendous than it was, but they weren't."

Millerberg was convicted last month by a jury that took less than 90 minutes to declare his guilt.

Eric Millerberg said Tuesday he was sorry for the loss to Alexis' family and that he couldn't imagine what this has done to them. Still, he stopped short of taking complete responsibility for her death.

"I'm willing to shoulder the responsibility for the role I played and the things that I have done," he said. "There's no way it's all mine."

He is appealing the conviction.

The key testimony in the trial came from Millerberg's wife, Dea, who said it was Eric Millerberg who injected methamphetamine and heroin into the teenager's body. Alexis baby-sat for the couple, but her friend also testified that she and Alexis would go to them for drugs and alcohol.

The Millerbergs prepared drugs for the three of them, and they injected methamphetamine and heroin, smoked marijuana, drank alcohol and engaged in sexual activity the night Alexis died.

After Alexis took a bath at the Millerberg home, Dea Millerberg said the girl reported being really cold and shaking. Millerberg, a former nurse, didn't think much of the girl's symptoms at the time. But when Alexis became unresponsive later in the night, she tried to resuscitate her, but to no avail.

It was then that the Millerbergs "panicked" and decided to hide Alexis' body. The North Ogden girl was last seen the night of Sept. 10, 2011, when she was reportedly baby-sitting the couple's two young daughters. Eric Millerberg told both the girl's mother and a close friend that he didn't know where she was or what happened to her. Her body wasn't found until Oct. 18 in Morgan County.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere