BYU volleyball: No. 3 BYU welcomes Cal Baptist to Smith Fieldhouse
Matt Gade, Deseret News
No. 3 BYU men’s volleyball hosts Cal Baptist on Saturday at 7 p.m. MDT in the team’s third match of a five-match home stand. The match will be broadcast live on BYU Radio.
The Cougars (15-4, 15-2 MPSF) sit atop the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation after sweeping defending NCAA champion UC Irvine and UC San Diego at home. Long Beach State, which split its series with BYU this season, is in second place with a 12-4 conference record and is No. 2 in the AVCA poll.
BYU last faced Cal Baptist (4-17, 2-15 MPSF) in February, when the Cougars ran off with a 3-0 victory in Riverside, Calif. BYU holds a 16-3 all-time series record against the Lancers and is 5-0 under head coach Chris McGown.
The Cougars seek to continue a 20-match home win streak, which started in February of the 2013 season. BYU hasn’t lost a set in the Smith Fieldhouse since Jan. 24, against Stanford.
Taylor Sander leads the Cougars with 4.60 kills per set, which is second most in the nation. Middle blocker Michael Hatch also ranks in the top five nationally for blocks, coming in second with 1.48 per set.
Tyler Heap contributes 10.71 assists per set, while Jaylen Reyes averages 1.79 digs per set.
Cal Baptist looks to break a five-match losing streak with the help of Johannes Brink’s 3.86 kills per set and 1.53 digs per set, and Brett Anderson’s 10.10 assists per set. Amir Lugo-Rodriguez averages 1.13 blocks per set to lead the Lancers.
BYU Radio is available on Sirius XM 143 or on the Dish music channel package on channel 980. Free audio streaming is available through BYU Radio's website or its app for iPad and iPhone. Links to audio streaming and live stats are available on the BYU men’s volleyball schedule page.
Rachel Hawks is the men's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30