Sim Gill says he's seeking re-election as district attorney
Gill said his office has given free lethal-force training to more than 900 police officers in Utah.
One law enforcer who is supporting Gill is Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder. Winder said Gill is willing to address difficult issues and communicates well with his department.
"On the whole, when you're dealing with macro here, what I hear some people criticize him for is, 'Why is he making these decisions?' Well, until you know all the facts, it's a little difficult to do that. But at least he's willing to engage and address difficult issues. And for that, I feel he's doing a very good job," he said. Gill was named "Officer of the Year" in 2013 by the Footprinters Association, a group of retired police officers.
Some of the achievements Gill touted from his first term in office include increasing restitution paid to victims, partnerships with the YWCA and Rape Recovery Center and beefing up his civil division.
"The safety of our officers, the safety of our citizens, and the safety of our community are not just mere words, but rather the commitment and motivation of our actions," he said.
There was speculation that Gill might throw his hat into the ring for a shot at the attorney general's office instead of running for a second term. But he said there is simply too much work to finish in his current office.
"It was something that I thought about, I was very flattered," he said. "But when it came down to why I ran the first time and what I want to accomplish for our community. In the end, it was an easy decision (to seek re-election) because what we have started we want to finish."
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 84
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 31
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7