Sim Gill says he's seeking re-election as district attorney
Gill said his office has given free lethal-force training to more than 900 police officers in Utah.
One law enforcer who is supporting Gill is Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder. Winder said Gill is willing to address difficult issues and communicates well with his department.
"On the whole, when you're dealing with macro here, what I hear some people criticize him for is, 'Why is he making these decisions?' Well, until you know all the facts, it's a little difficult to do that. But at least he's willing to engage and address difficult issues. And for that, I feel he's doing a very good job," he said. Gill was named "Officer of the Year" in 2013 by the Footprinters Association, a group of retired police officers.
Some of the achievements Gill touted from his first term in office include increasing restitution paid to victims, partnerships with the YWCA and Rape Recovery Center and beefing up his civil division.
"The safety of our officers, the safety of our citizens, and the safety of our community are not just mere words, but rather the commitment and motivation of our actions," he said.
There was speculation that Gill might throw his hat into the ring for a shot at the attorney general's office instead of running for a second term. But he said there is simply too much work to finish in his current office.
"It was something that I thought about, I was very flattered," he said. "But when it came down to why I ran the first time and what I want to accomplish for our community. In the end, it was an easy decision (to seek re-election) because what we have started we want to finish."
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River... 6
- D.A. declines to file charges against... 5