'Dear Future Mom' reaches out with heartfelt honesty about Down syndrome
The YouTube video "Dear Future Mother" is responding to one mother's question about what to expect from life with a child with Down syndrome.
The video from CoorDown, coordinator of the Italian National Association of people with Down syndrome, was posted on March 18. It serves as promotion for World Down Syndrome Day on March 21 and a response to a question the organization received from an expecting mother whose child was diagnosed with Down syndrome.
"I'm scared: What kind of life will my child have?" the video quotes from her message.
Through 15 people with Down syndrome from around Europe, the video, titled "Dear Future Mother," outlines that mothers can expect the same things all mothers expect: a child who hugs, runs, helps, works and faces challenges.
"Sometimes it will be difficult. Very difficult. Almost impossible," the people say. "But isn't it like that for all mothers?"
The advertising company Saatchi & Saatchi teamed up with CoorDown to create the video.
"The chosen theme for World Down Syndrome Day this year is the right to happiness and well-being of people with Down syndrome," the Saatchi and Saatchi website says. "The goal is to promote a culture of diversity and true integration into society, especially in the worlds of school and work."
This is the third consecutive year Saatchi & Saatchi Italy has teamed up with CoorDown to create a campaign for World Down Syndrome Day. These past campaigns have done well, winning the agency 11 Lion Awards at the Cannes International Festival of Creativity and a Grand Prix honor at ADCE, according to the Saatchi & Saatchi website.
"Dear Future Mother" has also been successful, even in the first days since it was posted.
"I wish I could add a million likes to this!! Such a beautiful way to put a worried moms (sic) mind at ease! God Bless all of you!!" Jennifer Cronbach commented on YouTube.
a beautiful, and real, video about the wonderful experience of having a child with #DownSyndrome#DearFutureMom You should watch this. Life is precious. #DearFutureMom
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- Piano Guys, David Archuleta, 'Nutcracker':...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- 4 unexpected health risks of smartphone use
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- A community of theater: Utah theater...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 37
- Brittany Maynard, right-to-die voice,... 6
- Sherry Young: When the scruffy look is... 4
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3
- The Clean Cut: Magic of Disney's... 3
- This new video game shows that there is... 3
- Minivans do poorly in new crash tests 2
- How will the NFL respond to domestic... 2