What other states can learn from Utah, Mormon culture
New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof wants you to learn another language.
The columnist recently wrote that foreign languages, especially Spanish, are becoming more important in the United States, and Americans might do well to learn them. He said Utah's capital, Salt Lake City, is an example of a city mixing together with different languages — largely because of the high concentration of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who served missions abroad — and it’s something young people should pursue.
The Economist also chimed in recently on the benefits of learning a foreign language, supposing that being at least bi-lingual could increase the average American's retirement fund somewhere in the ballpark of $67,000 over the course of a career.
But for Kristof just learning another language for more economic success isn't enough. It's about cultural immersion.
"One of the aims of higher education is to broaden perspectives, and what better way than by a home stay in a really different country, like Bangladesh or Senegal?"
What makes Utah stand out, then, isn't just the language diversity but the "wealth of international experience," which, despite recent efforts to bolster study abroad programs, is in short supply in the American higher education system.
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Top 50 companies to work for in Utah
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- More home-cooked meals really can save you...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Financial interventions don't work
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 15
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- Child poverty just dropped for the... 4