Utah Jazz: Big blowout loss to Rockets ends in a Toyota Center tussle
“I don’t know if it was a lack of effort or more of a lack of execution,” Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward said. “We didn’t take anything away from them. They got anything they wanted. They got dunks, kick-out 3s, pull-ups in the mid-range.”
While most players responded to the embarrassing beatdown with apathy — in their play and composure — Lucas let his season-long frustrations boil to the surface of his fingertips.
“I hate losing. I hate it with a passion,” Lucas said. “Night in, night out, you’ve got to play with passion. I take pride in this game. I play with my heart on my sleeve.”
Corbin spoke to a referee after the game, and he’s not sure if the NBA will step in with a punishment for Lucas and Garcia. The Jazz coach, frustrated about his team’s defensive rotations and man-to-man defense (or lack thereof), admitted he would have preferred if Lucas had just let the clock run out.
“Yeah, but, you know what, the clock is still running, you’ve got a right to play,” he said. “It happens, so we’ll move on.”
Lucas was expecting to hear about the fracas from his dad, John Lucas II, who was in the stands for this game.
“As a I look back on it, I wish none of that would’ve happened. It was a great game. The Rockets played great team basketball. They played a hell of a game, excuse my language,” Lucas said.
“It’s messed up that it ended like that. It was a good game by them. From one through all their guys, they all played good.”
The Rockets did not provide a comment about the incident or from Garcia in their postgame quotes.
Houston did, however, snap its season-high three-game losing streak in impressive fashion.
"Losing three in a row, we definitely didn't want to make it four," forward Chandler Parsons said. "We are playing for something this year."
The Jazz aren't.
And it's starting to show.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16