Utah Jazz: Dwight Howard out; Marvin Williams back in starting lineup
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
HOUSTON — Derrick Favors won't have to go from playing against Tim Duncan to Dwight Howard, after all.
Though the Jazz center was looking forward to a matchup with the Rockets' big man, Howard will sit out tonight's game (6 p.m. tipoff) because of a mild left ankle strain.
This will be the first absence this season for Howard, who is scoring 18.6 points and grabbing 12.4 rebounds a game. He only averaged 15.0 points and nine rebounds in the two games Houston split against the Jazz earlier this season.
It's likely the Rockets will go with Turkish center Omer Asik in Howard's place.
Meanwhile, the Jazz are going back to their regular rotation, with power forward Marvin Williams replacing Enes Kanter in the starting lineup. Kanter started Friday when Williams was out with a lower back strain and remained in the first five in Sunday's loss at San Antonio despite the veteran's return.
The Jazz (22-45) are hoping to snap out of a four-game losing streak and a slump in which they've lost nine of 10.
The Rockets (44-22) are in their first three-game losing streak of the season but have won eight straight at the Toyota Center.
- Roger Federer pulls out of French Open
- Pacquiao's Senate victory brings him closer...
- Phil Mickelson to forfeit nearly $1 million...
- Perfect 10: Cavs stay unbeaten in postseason,...
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 49
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 36
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 29
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 19
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Morning links: Bronco Mendenhall and... 15
- Utah State forward Jalen Moore removes... 7
- Doug Robinson: Principals give era of... 6