Utah Jazz: Dwight Howard out; Marvin Williams back in starting lineup
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
HOUSTON — Derrick Favors won't have to go from playing against Tim Duncan to Dwight Howard, after all.
Though the Jazz center was looking forward to a matchup with the Rockets' big man, Howard will sit out tonight's game (6 p.m. tipoff) because of a mild left ankle strain.
This will be the first absence this season for Howard, who is scoring 18.6 points and grabbing 12.4 rebounds a game. He only averaged 15.0 points and nine rebounds in the two games Houston split against the Jazz earlier this season.
It's likely the Rockets will go with Turkish center Omer Asik in Howard's place.
Meanwhile, the Jazz are going back to their regular rotation, with power forward Marvin Williams replacing Enes Kanter in the starting lineup. Kanter started Friday when Williams was out with a lower back strain and remained in the first five in Sunday's loss at San Antonio despite the veteran's return.
The Jazz (22-45) are hoping to snap out of a four-game losing streak and a slump in which they've lost nine of 10.
The Rockets (44-22) are in their first three-game losing streak of the season but have won eight straight at the Toyota Center.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- High school football: Riverton coach Mike...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 50
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34