Balancing act: Family follows 'different' path to find work-life balance
“I think that was my biggest fear starting out, especially going on deployment. I was terrified of losing that special bond,” Amber wrote. “It does take effort on my part to keep. On deployment I would color pictures for each child every Sunday, and it was more for me to have time to sit down and think about them. When I got home it was as if I had never left. They still wanted all the attention I could spare, and we talk and play as if I never left.”
After reading Amber’s story, I was filled with admiration for her family. They’ve done an amazing job of finding their way through some extremely challenging situations, and they’ve built a balanced life that appears to be based on dedication, loyalty, sacrifice and love.
“Neither my husband nor I would change any of this for anything now,” Amber wrote. “It’s not for everyone, and it’s certainly not how I expected my life would turn out, but we are very blessed.”
We all face unexpected twists and turns in life, those forks in the road that force us to make incredibly difficult decisions. When we do, we have to take the direction we believe will be best for our families — even if that moves us away from what’s considered “normal.”
I’d like to hear and share the tales of other readers’ quests for work-life balance and the challenges they’ve overcome, so please leave a comment or send me an email with your stories.
In the meantime, I wish Amber and her family nothing but success in their ongoing quest for balance, not to mention good health and happiness.
I also hope their story will inspire us to try harder to support each other in our unique journeys through life, offering kind words and helping hands instead of criticism and cold shoulders.
That way, we can all reach our desired destinations together, no matter what stumbling blocks life might throw in our way.
- 10 cheapest colleges for out-of-state students
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- Are schools preparing students for the new...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally?
- These three countries offer insights into the...
- Renovation Solutions: Top remodeling projects...
- Young widows speak out about managing grief,...
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek...
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek... 14
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 10
- Banks fined more than $5B, to plead... 6
- Are schools preparing students for the... 5
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.4... 5
- Study: 23 pct of US adults with health... 3
- McDonald's CEO faces shareholders amid... 3
- Loans, taxes, regulations on small... 1