Balancing act: Family follows 'different' path to find work-life balance
“I think that was my biggest fear starting out, especially going on deployment. I was terrified of losing that special bond,” Amber wrote. “It does take effort on my part to keep. On deployment I would color pictures for each child every Sunday, and it was more for me to have time to sit down and think about them. When I got home it was as if I had never left. They still wanted all the attention I could spare, and we talk and play as if I never left.”
After reading Amber’s story, I was filled with admiration for her family. They’ve done an amazing job of finding their way through some extremely challenging situations, and they’ve built a balanced life that appears to be based on dedication, loyalty, sacrifice and love.
“Neither my husband nor I would change any of this for anything now,” Amber wrote. “It’s not for everyone, and it’s certainly not how I expected my life would turn out, but we are very blessed.”
We all face unexpected twists and turns in life, those forks in the road that force us to make incredibly difficult decisions. When we do, we have to take the direction we believe will be best for our families — even if that moves us away from what’s considered “normal.”
I’d like to hear and share the tales of other readers’ quests for work-life balance and the challenges they’ve overcome, so please leave a comment or send me an email with your stories.
In the meantime, I wish Amber and her family nothing but success in their ongoing quest for balance, not to mention good health and happiness.
I also hope their story will inspire us to try harder to support each other in our unique journeys through life, offering kind words and helping hands instead of criticism and cold shoulders.
That way, we can all reach our desired destinations together, no matter what stumbling blocks life might throw in our way.
- 15 jobs that are safe from the robot takeover
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- 10 jobs you can get right now
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Summit County sees credit card breach after...
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid covering the...
- How to eat on just $4 a day
- 10 things to know about corporate... 29
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- California push to avert higher gas... 10
- Mimicking the airlines, hotels get... 9
- Burger King in talks to buy Tim Hortons 8
- It's about time the government... 8
- Cantwell targets small business loan... 3
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 3