Balancing act: Family follows 'different' path to find work-life balance
“I think that was my biggest fear starting out, especially going on deployment. I was terrified of losing that special bond,” Amber wrote. “It does take effort on my part to keep. On deployment I would color pictures for each child every Sunday, and it was more for me to have time to sit down and think about them. When I got home it was as if I had never left. They still wanted all the attention I could spare, and we talk and play as if I never left.”
After reading Amber’s story, I was filled with admiration for her family. They’ve done an amazing job of finding their way through some extremely challenging situations, and they’ve built a balanced life that appears to be based on dedication, loyalty, sacrifice and love.
“Neither my husband nor I would change any of this for anything now,” Amber wrote. “It’s not for everyone, and it’s certainly not how I expected my life would turn out, but we are very blessed.”
We all face unexpected twists and turns in life, those forks in the road that force us to make incredibly difficult decisions. When we do, we have to take the direction we believe will be best for our families — even if that moves us away from what’s considered “normal.”
I’d like to hear and share the tales of other readers’ quests for work-life balance and the challenges they’ve overcome, so please leave a comment or send me an email with your stories.
In the meantime, I wish Amber and her family nothing but success in their ongoing quest for balance, not to mention good health and happiness.
I also hope their story will inspire us to try harder to support each other in our unique journeys through life, offering kind words and helping hands instead of criticism and cold shoulders.
That way, we can all reach our desired destinations together, no matter what stumbling blocks life might throw in our way.
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 20
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 9
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 1