Utah Valley basketball: Wolverines secure their first-ever berth into the NIT
August Miller, Utah Valley University
OREM — There's no question Utah Valley is a program on the rise. A little more than a year after securing an invite to the Western Athletic Conference, the men's basketball team won the conference's regular season title and with it an automatic berth into the NIT.
The Wolverines (20-11) secured a No. 7 seed in their region and will travel to take on No. 2 seed Cal (19-3) this Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. MDT. The game will be shown on ESPN3.
"Cal is athletic, has great personnel and a Hall of Fame coach in Mike Montgomery," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "It will be a very tough challenge, but it's an exciting challenge. It's great to be a part of the NIT."
The NIT field consists of 32 teams with the final four advancing to play at historic Madison Square Garden in New York. The No. 1 seed in UVU's region is SMU (23-9.)
Utah Valley has played Cal twice before — dropping its first meeting in 2006 (60-47) and losing again in 2009 (85-51).
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16