Utah Valley basketball: Wolverines secure their first-ever berth into the NIT
August Miller, Utah Valley University
OREM — There's no question Utah Valley is a program on the rise. A little more than a year after securing an invite to the Western Athletic Conference, the men's basketball team won the conference's regular season title and with it an automatic berth into the NIT.
The Wolverines (20-11) secured a No. 7 seed in their region and will travel to take on No. 2 seed Cal (19-3) this Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. MDT. The game will be shown on ESPN3.
"Cal is athletic, has great personnel and a Hall of Fame coach in Mike Montgomery," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "It will be a very tough challenge, but it's an exciting challenge. It's great to be a part of the NIT."
The NIT field consists of 32 teams with the final four advancing to play at historic Madison Square Garden in New York. The No. 1 seed in UVU's region is SMU (23-9.)
Utah Valley has played Cal twice before — dropping its first meeting in 2006 (60-47) and losing again in 2009 (85-51).
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18