Utah Valley basketball: Wolverines secure their first-ever berth into the NIT
August Miller, Utah Valley University
OREM — There's no question Utah Valley is a program on the rise. A little more than a year after securing an invite to the Western Athletic Conference, the men's basketball team won the conference's regular season title and with it an automatic berth into the NIT.
The Wolverines (20-11) secured a No. 7 seed in their region and will travel to take on No. 2 seed Cal (19-3) this Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. MDT. The game will be shown on ESPN3.
"Cal is athletic, has great personnel and a Hall of Fame coach in Mike Montgomery," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "It will be a very tough challenge, but it's an exciting challenge. It's great to be a part of the NIT."
The NIT field consists of 32 teams with the final four advancing to play at historic Madison Square Garden in New York. The No. 1 seed in UVU's region is SMU (23-9.)
Utah Valley has played Cal twice before — dropping its first meeting in 2006 (60-47) and losing again in 2009 (85-51).
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 26