BYU basketball: Oregon excited for its rematch against the Cougars
Chris Pietsch, AP
A fast-paced game should be in store when BYU matches up with No. 7 seed Oregon in the first round of the NCAA tournament Thursday in Milwaukee. The Ducks (23-9) average 81.8 points per game — 11th most in the country.
Of course their style of play is familiar to BYU, which lost to the Ducks in a 100-96 overtime track meet back on Dec. 21 in Eugene Ore. Since that win, Oregon had its ups and downs, including losing eight of its first 11 conference games, but rebounded with eight straight wins leading up and into the Pac-12 tournament.
Eventual tournament champion UCLA defeated the Ducks in the quarterfinals 83-62 — a loss that still stings a bit.
“We’ve got a sour taste in our mouths,” senior guard Jonathan Lloyd told the Daily Emerald. “We didn’t feel like we showed people our best game. We didn’t give it our all, so we’re about to go out there and do the complete opposite.”
Oregon is led by 6-foot-2 guard Joseph Young, who averages a team-high 18.6 points, and 6-foot-8 forward Mike Moser, who averages 13.5 points and eight rebounds. In their overtime win over the Cougars, it was reserve guard Jason Caliste leading the way with 31 points.
Overall, the Ducks are happy with their first-round draw.
“Nothing but excitement,” Lloyd said of his reaction when learning his team's first-round opponent. “It’s a great opportunity for us (playing) a BYU team we played already. We’re both different teams, so it’s going to be a tough matchup. A great game.”
Sophomore forward Elgin Cook, a Wisconsin native, is excited for the opportunity to go back home.
"It's going to be exciting," Cook told GoDucks.com. "It's almost going to be like a home game for us. I'm going to get as many people to the game to support us as possible."
- BYU football notebook: Team captains named,...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- Nebraska hoping for balanced offense attack...
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah? BYU?;...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- Dick Harmon: Who will face toughest QBs this...
- Position by position: Breaking down the...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 98
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 46
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 28
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23