Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors goes off, but Spurs shoot lights out in 122-104 win
The Jazz continued with the starting lineup they used in Friday’s 96-87 home loss to the Los Angeles Clippers, with all the usual guys except for Enes Kanter filling in for Marvin Williams.
Corbin opted to start the 6-11 Kanter to counter the Spurs’ 6-11 frontcourt of Duncan and Tiago Splitter.
Kanter had a rough first half with three fouls, one rebound and zero points but ended up scoring eight and grabbing 11 rebounds. Williams finished with eight points and four boards off the bench.
“It’s something different. I was used to playing with Marv throughout the whole season,” Favors said. “The Spurs came out with a big lineup and Coach wanted to go with a big lineup and you just have to deal with it.”
Despite San Antonio’s hot shooting, which fell just short of Miami’s opponent-high 63.4 night in December, the Jazz were within five points late in the third quarter before things unraveled. In the final 4:34 of that period, Ginobili scored seven points as the close game turned into a 91-76 Spurs advantage heading into the fourth quarter.
“They know how to win basketball games,” Hayward said. “They get the job done.”
“Take nothing away from our guys,” Corbin said. “I thought we came out, we fought hard. This is a great ball club and they don’t miss a beat.”
They don’t miss a shot, or so it seemed Sunday.
After playing the league’s two hottest teams, the Jazz, officially eliminated from the playoffs at 22-45, travel to face a ticked-off Houston club that was smoking before losing its last three games.
"I’m probably going to have to play Dwight (Howard). I hope I feel fresh, man," Favors said. "It’s going to be a tough game. But it’s the NBA, so it’s stuff you just got to be used to and be ready to play."
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 32
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23