UVU baseball: Utah Valley drops game three, series to North Dakota
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Utah Valley dropped its inaugural WAC series as North Dakota took Sunday's rubber match by a score of 10-4 at UVU's Brent Brown Ballpark.
The Wolverines (5-14, 1-2 WAC) jumped out to a 2-0 advantage thanks to a two-run first-inning home run off the bat of sophomore Mark Krueger. North Dakota's Jeff Campbell then answered for UND in the top of the second with a solo bomb of his own to cut it to 2-1.
With the Wolverines still holding to a 2-1 advantage in the fourth, North Dakota took its first lead of the game thanks to a two-run triple from leadoff man Jacob Threlkheld followed by an RBI single from Tyler Follis. UND then tacked on two more runs in the sixth and broke the game open in the eighth by scoring three more times.
Despite suffering the loss, Krueger and fellow sophomore Craig Brinkerhoff homered in the contest for UVU. Brinkerhoff led the Wolverines in the game by going 3-for-4 with three extra base hits. Besides his fourth inning round tripper, Brinkerhoff also doubled in the first as well as in the eighth. Sophomore catcher Seth Rhineer also finished in with multiple hits for Utah Valley as he tallied a 2-for-4 afternoon at the plate.
Campbell picked up his first victory of the season (1-2) by going the distance on the mound for UND. The North Dakota starter allowed just four runs while scattering 10 hits and striking out four. Campbell also tallied two hits, three RBIs, a run scored and a walk offensively in the contest.
Eight of UND's nine batters recorded at least one hit in the game, and Follis led the way by going 4-for-6 with four runs batted in and a run scored.
Sophomore Danny Beddes (1-2) took the loss in the ball game for the Wolverines as he gave up five earned runs in five innings of work.
The victory marked just UND's third-ever win over UVU as the Wolverines' still hold a commanding 12-3 series advantage over their former Great West counterpart.
Utah Valley will now head to Salt Lake City on Tuesday evening for its first in-state contest of the season. UVU and Utah will do battle at the newly renamed Smith's Ballpark (formerly Spring Mobile Ballpark) on Tuesday at 6 p.m. The Wolverines will then head to Dallas for a three-game non-conference series at Dallas Baptist next weekend.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Due to injuries, both BYU and Cincinnati have...
- BYU legend Steve Young talks Tanner Mangum,...
- Morning links: L.A. Times writer, former...
- With Mangum 'probable,' Cougars getting Hoge...
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after putting...
- What you may have missed: Put him in, coach,...
- Brad Rock: Whittingham looks the part as a...
- USC coach Steve Sarkisian taking indefinite...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 45
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 40
- No. 5 Utes outlast No. 23 Cal in... 38
- Utah football: Utes moves up No. 4 in... 33
- Due to injuries, both BYU and... 32
- USC fires Steve Sarkisian 1 day after... 25
- Tanner Mangum returns from injury,... 25
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 21