UVU baseball: Utah Valley drops game three, series to North Dakota
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Utah Valley dropped its inaugural WAC series as North Dakota took Sunday's rubber match by a score of 10-4 at UVU's Brent Brown Ballpark.
The Wolverines (5-14, 1-2 WAC) jumped out to a 2-0 advantage thanks to a two-run first-inning home run off the bat of sophomore Mark Krueger. North Dakota's Jeff Campbell then answered for UND in the top of the second with a solo bomb of his own to cut it to 2-1.
With the Wolverines still holding to a 2-1 advantage in the fourth, North Dakota took its first lead of the game thanks to a two-run triple from leadoff man Jacob Threlkheld followed by an RBI single from Tyler Follis. UND then tacked on two more runs in the sixth and broke the game open in the eighth by scoring three more times.
Despite suffering the loss, Krueger and fellow sophomore Craig Brinkerhoff homered in the contest for UVU. Brinkerhoff led the Wolverines in the game by going 3-for-4 with three extra base hits. Besides his fourth inning round tripper, Brinkerhoff also doubled in the first as well as in the eighth. Sophomore catcher Seth Rhineer also finished in with multiple hits for Utah Valley as he tallied a 2-for-4 afternoon at the plate.
Campbell picked up his first victory of the season (1-2) by going the distance on the mound for UND. The North Dakota starter allowed just four runs while scattering 10 hits and striking out four. Campbell also tallied two hits, three RBIs, a run scored and a walk offensively in the contest.
Eight of UND's nine batters recorded at least one hit in the game, and Follis led the way by going 4-for-6 with four runs batted in and a run scored.
Sophomore Danny Beddes (1-2) took the loss in the ball game for the Wolverines as he gave up five earned runs in five innings of work.
The victory marked just UND's third-ever win over UVU as the Wolverines' still hold a commanding 12-3 series advantage over their former Great West counterpart.
Utah Valley will now head to Salt Lake City on Tuesday evening for its first in-state contest of the season. UVU and Utah will do battle at the newly renamed Smith's Ballpark (formerly Spring Mobile Ballpark) on Tuesday at 6 p.m. The Wolverines will then head to Dallas for a three-game non-conference series at Dallas Baptist next weekend.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30