BYU earns NCAA at-large bid; will face Oregon in Milwaukee
BYU lost to Gonzaga in the West Coast Conference tournament championship last Tuesday, then found out that guard Kyle Collinsworth would be out for the season with a knee injury.
That made for an anxious week for the Cougars.
‘’It’s kind of been a crazy few days. You’re just waiting, not knowing what was going to happen,” Haws said. “But we were pretty confident that we were going to get in. We’re really excited and we’re looking forward to a great opportunity.”
Guard Matt Carlino said he spent the past week "catching up on school work, trying to rest, trying not to think about (the NCAA tournament projections) too much because it will stress you out a little bit. I was watching basketball the whole time, so you can’t help but watch the bracketology stuff I’m not really surprised (about receiving a No. 10 seed). Until the brackets are set, no one knows.”
Now that his team is in the NCAA tournament, Rose knows there's a lot of work to do before Thursday's rematch with Oregon.
“We’re thrilled. It’s a good day. Once you get past the emotion and excitement of being in the tournament, you get pretty hard (preparation) with your opponent. We’re familiar with our opponent," Rose said. “I remember that locker room in Eugene right before Christmas. The disappointment. Our guys had a lead late and kind of let it get away and we lost in overtime. For a lot of reasons, I think our guys will be really excited to play in this tournament against Oregon.”
NOTES: BYU freshman Luke Worthington and director of basketball operations Cody Fueger both hail from the Milwaukee area This will mark BYU’s 28th NCAA appearance The Cougars have gone to the Big Dance in seven of the last eight seasons.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 12
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7