Police quickly find stolen car and man suspected of stealing it
SALT LAKE CITY — A man is in custody after Salt Lake police say he stole a Mercedes from a Maverik store Sunday morning.
Police dispatch received a call at 9:25 a.m. from a woman who said she witnessed a possible carjacking at 508 E. 300 South.
Police say the woman saw a black male armed with a gun approach two white males as they got into their car. The woman told police that after a conversation, the two men got in the front and the armed man got in the back.
"They actually left some items on top of their car and did some other things that made us believe that they were certainly not friends, certainly in a hurry," Salt Lake City Police Lt. Scott White said.
White said an officer responded quickly and found the car parked a block away at an apartment complex.
"We had the vehicle within in ten minutes of it being stolen, which is outstanding, because we didn't have a license plate," White said.
A short time later, an officer saw the suspect and caught him after a short foot pursuit. According to police, the man was carrying the identifications of the two males. White called it a "great stop."
Police say they found those two men in their apartment at the complex where the car was found.
All three men are being interviewed by detectives. While the motive is unknown, police say drugs could be involved, as the suspect had drug paraphernalia at the time. Police have not yet released the names of any of the men involved in the case.
— Madeleine Brown
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 70
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17