Police quickly find stolen car and man suspected of stealing it
SALT LAKE CITY — A man is in custody after Salt Lake police say he stole a Mercedes from a Maverik store Sunday morning.
Police dispatch received a call at 9:25 a.m. from a woman who said she witnessed a possible carjacking at 508 E. 300 South.
Police say the woman saw a black male armed with a gun approach two white males as they got into their car. The woman told police that after a conversation, the two men got in the front and the armed man got in the back.
"They actually left some items on top of their car and did some other things that made us believe that they were certainly not friends, certainly in a hurry," Salt Lake City Police Lt. Scott White said.
White said an officer responded quickly and found the car parked a block away at an apartment complex.
"We had the vehicle within in ten minutes of it being stolen, which is outstanding, because we didn't have a license plate," White said.
A short time later, an officer saw the suspect and caught him after a short foot pursuit. According to police, the man was carrying the identifications of the two males. White called it a "great stop."
Police say they found those two men in their apartment at the complex where the car was found.
All three men are being interviewed by detectives. While the motive is unknown, police say drugs could be involved, as the suspect had drug paraphernalia at the time. Police have not yet released the names of any of the men involved in the case.
— Madeleine Brown
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 51
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 21
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15