Police quickly find stolen car and man suspected of stealing it
SALT LAKE CITY — A man is in custody after Salt Lake police say he stole a Mercedes from a Maverik store Sunday morning.
Police dispatch received a call at 9:25 a.m. from a woman who said she witnessed a possible carjacking at 508 E. 300 South.
Police say the woman saw a black male armed with a gun approach two white males as they got into their car. The woman told police that after a conversation, the two men got in the front and the armed man got in the back.
"They actually left some items on top of their car and did some other things that made us believe that they were certainly not friends, certainly in a hurry," Salt Lake City Police Lt. Scott White said.
White said an officer responded quickly and found the car parked a block away at an apartment complex.
"We had the vehicle within in ten minutes of it being stolen, which is outstanding, because we didn't have a license plate," White said.
A short time later, an officer saw the suspect and caught him after a short foot pursuit. According to police, the man was carrying the identifications of the two males. White called it a "great stop."
Police say they found those two men in their apartment at the complex where the car was found.
All three men are being interviewed by detectives. While the motive is unknown, police say drugs could be involved, as the suspect had drug paraphernalia at the time. Police have not yet released the names of any of the men involved in the case.
— Madeleine Brown
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 113
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 57
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 40
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- School leaders look for solutions to... 22
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12