Seth Wenig, Associated Press
While BYU continues playing the waiting game, most teams sitting on the bubble didn’t fare well on the day before Selection Sunday.
Tennessee, St. Bonaventure, Louisiana Tech, North Carolina State and Georgia each lost in their respective conference tournaments Saturday afternoon.
Georgia fell to Kentucky 70-58 and Tennessee lost to Florida 56-49 in the SEC semifinals. ESPN’s Joe Lunardi updated his bracketology to bump out the Bulldogs, while the Volunteers remain in his field.
CBS Sport’s Jerry Palm, however, lowered Tennessee to his “on the fence” list alongside BYU, SMU, Arkansas and Missouri — all teams who are finished with tournament play.
Meanwhile in the ACC tournament, Duke dropped North Carolina State 75-67 in the semifinals to knock the Wolfpack off the bubble on both Lunardi and Palm’s lists.
In the Atlantic-10 conference, Cinderella hopeful and potential bubble-buster St. Bonaventure fell short to St. Joseph’s 67-48, halting its bid for the NCAA tournament.
Tulsa knocked off Louisiana Tech in the Conference-USA final, knocking the Bulldogs off the bubble in Lunardi’s list and out of consideration in Palm’s rankings.
One bubble team, however, found magic. Providence defeated Creighton 65-58 Saturday night to claim the Big East automatic bid. The Friars entered the day with a similar resume as BYU.
The NCAA tournament brackets will be released Sunday at 4 p.m.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 81
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 66
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22