25-year-old man dies after losing control of his vehicle near Sardine Canyon
WELLSVILLE, Cache County— A 25-year-old man is dead after he lost control of his vehicle near the mouth of Sardine canyon on Saturday morning.
Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Lee Perry said Weston Robert Love of West Jordan was driving at about 90 miles per hour on the curve when he drifted a little to the left, hit the rumble strip, and veered back to the right.
"The vehicle rotated 180 degrees and went off the roadway," Perry said.
The Grand Jeep Cherokee went airborne after going up a sharp incline about 20 feet off the road. The SUV then came down and hit a large fence before landing in a ditch filled with rocks.
Perry said at that point Love, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was ejected from the car.
"The vehicle then vaulted, complete vault, hit the back end of the vehicle and then vaulted one more time and came to rest in the ditch approximately 120 feet from where the vehicle had originally gone off the roadway," Perry said.
Love was killed on impact. Perry said drugs and alcohol do not appear to be involved.
"The fact that he was not wearing a seat belt probably contributed to the fact that he was not able to maintain control of the car once he panicked and swerved back to the right," Perry said.
Family and officers don't know why he would have traveled in the area at that time. No one saw the crash.
Someone driving in the area tipped police to a body in the field. Deputies and troopers found the body on Highway 89/91 near mile marker 16 at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday. The car was in a ditch not visible to the roadway.
Perry also said the engine was still warm, and estimate the crash happened between 7 a.m. and the time of the tip at 8:11 a.m.
The cause of the accident is still under investigation. Perry said Love may have fallen asleep at the wheel, the high speeds may have pulled the vehicle to the inside lane, or the rising sun could have limited his visibility.
More information will be posed when it is available.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Canceled Utah race renews fears of shrinking...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- Is report on building prison in Draper...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 128
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 84
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 74
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 54
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 39
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 34
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 33