“Overall we definitely didn’t dive to our full potential, but some good things happened for us in competition,” BYU head diving coach Keith Russell said. “Nic was a finalist in both events and freshman Bryce was the only other one that was a finalist. They needed to be a little more intense and engaged in this competition but I think we learned a lot.”
After qualifying in 17th place in preliminaries (303.10), Suder placed 17th in the finals with a score of 613.20 points in the men’s 3-meter. He qualified 17th again in the 1-meter (286.85) and then took 13th in the 1-meter with 608.50 points.
Farabee qualified 16th in the 1-meter preliminaries (288.70) and placed 18th in the finals with a score of 571.05 points in his first appearance at Zone Championships.
“He’s (Farabee) going on a mission, but he will be a star in the future for us and become one of the better divers,” Russell said. “He definitely will be one of the ones we depend on in the future.”
In the men’s 3-meter, Cougars Matt Hopper and Farabee placed 25th (277.25) and 26th (272.85) in the preliminaries, respectively.
In the women’s 1-meter competition, BYU senior Raleigh Williams Taylor placed 25th (247.60) in the preliminaries while teammate Mackenzie Rands placed 52nd (200.25). In the 3-meter, Taylor placed 44th (218.95) while Rands placed 50th (211.85).
“Raleigh she did some of the best dives she’s ever done in this competition,” Russell said. “She should go out with a great happiness and gratitude and remember the good things that happened. That’s what I’ll remember from today, three of her best dives came today and that was a great accomplishment for her.”
The Cougar divers failed to advance to the NCAA Diving Championships later this month, so for BYU this concludes the 2013-2014 diving season.
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- BYU opponent preview: Mixing Riley's system...
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21
- Morning links: Devontae Booker to be... 20
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 19