UVU golf: Wolverines move up two spots, take seventh at SUU Invite
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
The Utah Valley University women's golf team moved up two spots during Friday's final round at the inaugural Southern Utah Invitational as it finished the 36-hole tournament in seventh place. Junior Brooke Whittaker led the way individually for the Wolverines by tying for 11th after shooting 12-over par for the tournament.
As a team UVU managed to jump from ninth to seventh place on Friday after carding +28 during the final 18 holes. The 316 was 11 strokes better than Utah Valley's 327 that it put up Thursday (643). With the seventh-place finish, UVU finished ahead of Creighton (644), Montana State (653), Dixie State (665), North Dakota (675) and Idaho State (712).
Whittaker jumped from 22nd to 11th on Friday after firing a 75 (+3). The Wolverine junior finished the tournament with a 154 after carding a 79 on Thursday.
Not to be outdone by Whittker, junior Hannah Herman - who was playing the tournament as an individual - posted the best round by a Wolverine on Friday with a 74. Herman's 2-over on Friday jumped her 30 spots on the leaderboard as she finished the tournament in 32nd place. Herman, who shot an 88 on Thursday, finished the tournament with a 162 (+18).
Behind Whittaker and Herman's solid performances Friday, fellow junior Heather Mathison tied for 26th place with a 160 (+16). After shooting a 79 during the first 18 on Thursday, Mathison recorded an 81 on Friday. Freshman Monica Yeates was next as she tied for 33rd with a total of 163 (+19). Yeates had a solid round Friday as she carded a 6-over 78.
Weber State and Oral Roberts were declared co-champions of the tournament after tying atop the field with identical scores of 615. Host Southern Utah came in third with 617, while fellow WAC member Grand Canyon took fourth (619). South Dakota State (627) and Eastern Washington (631) rounded out the top six, as they took fifth and sixth, respectively.
The SUU Invitational was contested at the Sunbrook Golf Club in St. George, Utah.
UVU will remain in St. George for Monday and Tuesday's BYU at Entrada Classic. The 54-hole affair will be contested at the Entrada at Snow Canyon Country Club. Live results for next week's tournament will be available by visiting GolfStat.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 31
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 25
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 24
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23