Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton signs with Miami Heat
J Pat Carter, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Former Lone Peak High center Justin Hamilton will have a chance to pick up an NBA championship ring this season.
The Alpine native, who made his NBA regular-season début last week with the Charlotte Bobcats, signed with the two-time defending champion Miami Heat on Friday.
According to the Sun-Sentinel, Hamilton signed for the balance of this season as well as a non-guaranteed contract for next season. That allows Miami to retain the rights to Hamilton, who will also be eligible to play in the postseason for the Heat because his contract with the Bobcats was only a 10-day contract.
Hamilton made his regular-season début for Charlotte on March 8 after signing his 10-day contract with the Bobcats on March 4. He played nearly four minutes and recorded a steal against the Memphis Grizzlies. Prior to signing with Charlotte, Hamilton played 37 games with the D-League's Sioux Falls Skyforce, averaging 19.3 points, 9.2 rebounds, 2.0 blocks and 1.5 assists.
Hamilton played in five games during the preseason with the Heat, with his best game coming against Detroit when he had eight points and four rebounds in nine minutes. He was released by Miami before the regular season.
The Heat released guard DeAndre Liggins from his 10-day contract Friday to make room for Hamilton.
"In terms of roster balance, this made more sense," Miami coach Erik Spoelstra said, according to the Sun-Sentinel's Ira Winderman.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33