Linebacker Kyle Van Noy says he discovered himself at BYU
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Star linebacker Kyle Van Noy wrote an article for USA Today in which he says he found himself while at BYU.
Van Noy was arrested twice during his senior year in high school and ran into trouble with BYU's honor code. BYU head coach Bronco Mendenhall gave Van Noy the opportunity to go somewhere else rather than having to wait a year to join the team. "I said, 'No. I gave you my word.' My mom really embedded that into our heads — that if you say you're going to do something, do it."
There were three reasons why Van Noy chose BYU. The first was, "To get out of trouble. I was going down the wrong path, hanging out with the wrong people." The second was to, "Get a great education." Football was the third reason Van Noy listed. "It was probably the fastest way I could get on the field and play"
Thanks to his experiences at BYU, he sees athletes as normal people. "I never look at NFL players and put them on high pedestals. They have flesh and bone just like you do. It doesn't matter if they have more money. They're not above you. They're just the same. They're human beings."
Lafe Peavler is a sports writer for the Deseret News and runs the Sports BLT blog. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 28
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22