Linebacker Kyle Van Noy says he discovered himself at BYU
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Star linebacker Kyle Van Noy wrote an article for USA Today in which he says he found himself while at BYU.
Van Noy was arrested twice during his senior year in high school and ran into trouble with BYU's honor code. BYU head coach Bronco Mendenhall gave Van Noy the opportunity to go somewhere else rather than having to wait a year to join the team. "I said, 'No. I gave you my word.' My mom really embedded that into our heads — that if you say you're going to do something, do it."
There were three reasons why Van Noy chose BYU. The first was, "To get out of trouble. I was going down the wrong path, hanging out with the wrong people." The second was to, "Get a great education." Football was the third reason Van Noy listed. "It was probably the fastest way I could get on the field and play"
Thanks to his experiences at BYU, he sees athletes as normal people. "I never look at NFL players and put them on high pedestals. They have flesh and bone just like you do. It doesn't matter if they have more money. They're not above you. They're just the same. They're human beings."
Lafe Peavler is a sports writer for the Deseret News and runs the Sports BLT blog. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 110
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 81
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33