SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert has appointed Joseph M. Bean to fill a vacancy on the 2nd District Court. Bean is a justice court judge for Syracuse, a post he has held since 1993.
The 2nd District covers Davis, Weber and Morgan counties.
“(Bean) is uniquely qualified to serve as a district court judge,” Herbert said. “His keen intellect combined with his breadth of legal expertise in civil, criminal and administrative law will serve the residents of the 2nd Judicial District well.”
“I am grateful for the opportunity to serve the people of the state of Utah as a district court judge,” Bean said. “I will strive to continue to uphold the highest principles of justice, kindness, civility and integrity put into practice by my predecessor and those who continue to serve the people of Utah as judges on all levels.”
Bean is also president and managing partner of Bean & Micken, P.C., a Layton law firm organized in 1991. His professional recognition includes being a two time recipient of the Justice Court Judges’ Distinguished Service Award and a recipient of the Quality of Justice Award.
Bean received his Juris Doctor in 1989 from the University of Utah College Of Law. He helped organize the Syracuse City Youth (Peer) Court, and he volunteers as pro bono counsel for protective order hearings in Davis County.
Bean fills the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge Michael Lyon on Sept. 1. The governor’s appointment is subject to confirmation by the Utah State Senate.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13