Chuck Burton, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Steve Smith's time on the open market didn't last long.
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Smith, the former University of Utah wide receiver has signed with the Baltimore Ravens, after spending his first 13 NFL seasons with the Carolina Panthers.
Schefter reports that it will be a three-year deal.
Smith was released by the Panthers Thursday. The wideout is Carolina's all-time receiving leader with 836 career receptions for 12,197 yards and 67 touchdowns.
In Baltimore, Smith will join a wide receiving group that includes Torrey Smith, the Ravens' leading receiver last year, and deep threat Jacoby Jones. The Ravens also have another Utah connection at receiver. Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta is one of quarterback Joe Flacco's favorite targets in Baltimore.
Smith will face his former team when the Ravens host the Panthers next season, though a date has yet to be finalized.
Speculation about Smith needing to find a new NFL team began to arise when general manager Dave Gettleman made comments at the NFL Scouting Combine last month that Smith's future with the team was uncertain.
When asked about playing Carolina in the future during an interview Thursday with WFNZ he said, “I want to make sure that whatever team I go to, they’re going to get the best, in-shape 35-year-old guy they can get. If that happens to run through Bank of America Stadium, put your goggles on cause there’s going to be blood and guts everywhere."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 50
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 17