Chuck Burton, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Steve Smith's time on the open market didn't last long.
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Smith, the former University of Utah wide receiver has signed with the Baltimore Ravens, after spending his first 13 NFL seasons with the Carolina Panthers.
Schefter reports that it will be a three-year deal.
Smith was released by the Panthers Thursday. The wideout is Carolina's all-time receiving leader with 836 career receptions for 12,197 yards and 67 touchdowns.
In Baltimore, Smith will join a wide receiving group that includes Torrey Smith, the Ravens' leading receiver last year, and deep threat Jacoby Jones. The Ravens also have another Utah connection at receiver. Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta is one of quarterback Joe Flacco's favorite targets in Baltimore.
Smith will face his former team when the Ravens host the Panthers next season, though a date has yet to be finalized.
Speculation about Smith needing to find a new NFL team began to arise when general manager Dave Gettleman made comments at the NFL Scouting Combine last month that Smith's future with the team was uncertain.
When asked about playing Carolina in the future during an interview Thursday with WFNZ he said, “I want to make sure that whatever team I go to, they’re going to get the best, in-shape 35-year-old guy they can get. If that happens to run through Bank of America Stadium, put your goggles on cause there’s going to be blood and guts everywhere."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45