British judge hears arguments in case LDS Church calls 'mischief'
Kuzma, Getty Images
LONDON — A British judge heard arguments Friday but did not make any decisions in the case of a disaffected Mormon who launched what has been characterized as a "bizarre" private prosecution against LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson.
The case was scheduled to be heard before Westminster Magistrates Court Senior District Judge Howard Riddle, with arguments presented by attorneys on both sides.
President Monson did not appear at the hearing in London.
“There was absolutely no requirement for President Monson to appear today," LDS Church spokesman Cody Craynor said. "The church was represented by legal counsel to contest the appropriateness of the summons.”
The church released a statement Friday afternoon after the hearing had ended.
"Unfortunately there is nothing to stop a member of the public with a personal grievance playing this kind of mischief with the legal system," Craynor said. "The church respects the judicial system and the law, and we are well prepared to see the process through. A court case which seeks to put a religion on trial for its theology has no precedent and we are ultimately confident that it will be dismissed."
The disaffected church member who initiated the proceedings is Thomas Phillips.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- This week in history: The western Roman...
- How Twitter forced the news media to pay...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 105
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 24
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14