Douglas C. Pizac, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah board of trustees has announced four recipients of honorary doctorate degrees at this year's annual commencement. The recipients are H. Roger Boyer, Richard E. Kendell, Lewena "Tye" Noorda and Alex Smith. The awards will be presented during the annual student commencement ceremony held on Thursday, May 1, 2014, in the Jon M. Huntsman Center beginning at 6:30 p.m. "The honorary degree recipients this year reflect deep commitments to service, and the university is proud to recognize their achievements and dedication to their communities," said Keven Rowe, chairman of the Board of Trustees' honors committee.
Boyer will receive a Doctor of Business. He is chairman and founder of the Boyer Company, a real estate development company based in Salt Lake City.
Kendell will receive a Doctor of Humane Letters. Kendell most recently served as interim president of Southern Utah University and is former commissioner of the Utah System of Higher Education.
Noorda will receive a Doctor of Fine Arts. Noorda grew up in Freedom, Sanpete County. She is a trustee of the Ray and Tye Noorda Foundation, which in 2012 donated $30 million to build the first dental school in Utah at the University of Utah.
Alex Smith will receive a Doctor of Humane Letters. Smith, who is quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs, a U. graduate and generous philanthropist, was chosen by the president and Board of Trustees of the U. to deliver the university's 2014 commencement address.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Take a breather: 5 memorable ways to pamper...
- 10 of the most unusual laws in Utah
- Man hit, killed by FrontRunner train in Provo
- Youth volunteers plant 3,000 flags at Sandy...
- Man charged with threats of terrorism,...
- Riverton man arrested in 'unique' display of...
- Man found shot to death in Cottonwood Heights...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 113
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 25
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 18
- Provo forum to explore roles of family,... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 11
- Medical marijuana debate focuses on... 10
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become... 8
- San Juan County Commissioner appeals... 8