ASGARD — Marvel Studios is currently the king of Hollywood and its next film, “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” is a few weeks from opening.
To date, all Marvel-produced films have received a PG-13 rating, but its biggest success almost got an R.
Marvel films are juggernauts at the box office, and much of that is due to the films’ PG-13 ratings. This allows younger kids to see the films at the theater and, in the case of 2011’s “The Avengers,” they can go again, and again, and again, and again.
That film, however, initially received an R rating from the MPAA.
Watching the film now, it clearly seems to be PG-13, but apparently the MPAA didn’t feel the same way.
“When we submitted ‘The Avengers’ the first couple of cuts came back from the MPAA rated R. That happened twice,” Feige told movies.com during an interview for “Captain America: The Winter Soldier." “So we went back and had to make adjustments.”
If you’re one of the four people on the planet who hasn’t seen “The Avengers,” then avert your eyes because spoilers are about to drop.
Feige went on to explain what scene in particular was pushing the superhero film to the higher rating.
“Well, whenever you impale somebody from their back and the blade comes through their chest, there are issues.”
Feige is referring to the moment in the film when Loki kills Agent Coulson.
Marvel had to tweak the scene to make sure it secured the PG-13 rating and the boatloads of cash that followed.
“The Avengers” is currently rated a 12+ for age appropriateness on ok.com and has a 93 percent Worth Your Time rating.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Why you don't want your...
- Dear Dad, you’re doing it all wrong (a...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and children...
- The Clean Cut: LDS 'Voice' contestant...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 24
- Southern California conference... 12
- Pornography addiction: another reason... 11
- Erin Stewart: Is free-range parenting... 8
- The U.S. could do much more for abused... 7
- The Clean Cut: New BMW i3 Super Bowl ad... 2
- From the Homefront: The good game:... 2
- Emma Watson to star in live-action... 1