ASGARD — Marvel Studios is currently the king of Hollywood and its next film, “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” is a few weeks from opening.
To date, all Marvel-produced films have received a PG-13 rating, but its biggest success almost got an R.
Marvel films are juggernauts at the box office, and much of that is due to the films’ PG-13 ratings. This allows younger kids to see the films at the theater and, in the case of 2011’s “The Avengers,” they can go again, and again, and again, and again.
That film, however, initially received an R rating from the MPAA.
Watching the film now, it clearly seems to be PG-13, but apparently the MPAA didn’t feel the same way.
“When we submitted ‘The Avengers’ the first couple of cuts came back from the MPAA rated R. That happened twice,” Feige told movies.com during an interview for “Captain America: The Winter Soldier." “So we went back and had to make adjustments.”
If you’re one of the four people on the planet who hasn’t seen “The Avengers,” then avert your eyes because spoilers are about to drop.
Feige went on to explain what scene in particular was pushing the superhero film to the higher rating.
“Well, whenever you impale somebody from their back and the blade comes through their chest, there are issues.”
Feige is referring to the moment in the film when Loki kills Agent Coulson.
Marvel had to tweak the scene to make sure it secured the PG-13 rating and the boatloads of cash that followed.
“The Avengers” is currently rated a 12+ for age appropriateness on ok.com and has a 93 percent Worth Your Time rating.
- Understanding love, handling conflict, other...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- After having a baby, dad's brain changes too
- Baby boomers are not selling off homes, but...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- Family of teenage girl with burns on 65...
- Utah company brings Disney characters to...
- Nonprofit intervention program in Arizona...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 16
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 13
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 11
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 7
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 6
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- The Clean Cut: 5-year-old British boy... 3