ASGARD — Marvel Studios is currently the king of Hollywood and its next film, “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” is a few weeks from opening.
To date, all Marvel-produced films have received a PG-13 rating, but its biggest success almost got an R.
Marvel films are juggernauts at the box office, and much of that is due to the films’ PG-13 ratings. This allows younger kids to see the films at the theater and, in the case of 2011’s “The Avengers,” they can go again, and again, and again, and again.
That film, however, initially received an R rating from the MPAA.
Watching the film now, it clearly seems to be PG-13, but apparently the MPAA didn’t feel the same way.
“When we submitted ‘The Avengers’ the first couple of cuts came back from the MPAA rated R. That happened twice,” Feige told movies.com during an interview for “Captain America: The Winter Soldier." “So we went back and had to make adjustments.”
If you’re one of the four people on the planet who hasn’t seen “The Avengers,” then avert your eyes because spoilers are about to drop.
Feige went on to explain what scene in particular was pushing the superhero film to the higher rating.
“Well, whenever you impale somebody from their back and the blade comes through their chest, there are issues.”
Feige is referring to the moment in the film when Loki kills Agent Coulson.
Marvel had to tweak the scene to make sure it secured the PG-13 rating and the boatloads of cash that followed.
“The Avengers” is currently rated a 12+ for age appropriateness on ok.com and has a 93 percent Worth Your Time rating.
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- Host of 'The Locator,' former Mormon bishop...
- In music video, boy band tells Provo women...
- Why do we love bad movies?
- Should you tell your spouse the little white...
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 159
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 33
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale... 9
- Why do Elsa's and Anna's parents have... 6
- Should you tell your spouse the little... 5
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be... 4