I can’t ever seem to get enough pasta. I know its high in carbohydrates, but that is what makes it so comforting and delicious. It is also so versatile. There are so many ways to serve pasta and so many varieties of noodles.
One pasta noodle that doesn’t seem to have as much versatility is the lasagna noodle. There aren’t many recipes that call for it with the exception of its namesake.
However, by rolling it rather than placing it in layers, it creates a dish that is special to the eye and so much easier to serve. These lasagna rolls are filled with wonderfully tasty ingredients that can be mixed up to suit anyones' tastes. Browned ground beef or sausage can be added for a meaty version, or sauté some zucchini and tomatoes for a veggie lasagna. The possibilities are endless.
So stock up on lasagna noodles and enjoy a variety of delicious dishes.
Belle’s Lasagna Rolls
8 lasagna noodles
1 cup ricotta cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 cup spinach, finely chopped
½ cup mushrooms, chopped
¼ cup green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic salt
2½ cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Cover countertop with plastic wrap. Boil noodles for eight minutes. Carefully drain and place each noodle flat on the plastic wrap. Combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, spinach, mushrooms, onions, Italian seasoning and garlic salt.
Divide the mixture and spread it on each of the noodles. Spread one-quarter cup of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Roll up each noodle and place, seam side down, in the baking dish. Cover with the remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Utahn Sierra Dawn Thomas reflects on...
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a surprisingly...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- 21 things to look forward to at Disneyland's...
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may...
- Why exposing your children to another...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 167
- Erin Stewart: Why do men want 'strong'... 14
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 10
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may... 6
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror... 5
- 100 deadly days of summer: What you... 4
- Why exposing your children to another... 3
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a... 3