I can’t ever seem to get enough pasta. I know its high in carbohydrates, but that is what makes it so comforting and delicious. It is also so versatile. There are so many ways to serve pasta and so many varieties of noodles.
One pasta noodle that doesn’t seem to have as much versatility is the lasagna noodle. There aren’t many recipes that call for it with the exception of its namesake.
However, by rolling it rather than placing it in layers, it creates a dish that is special to the eye and so much easier to serve. These lasagna rolls are filled with wonderfully tasty ingredients that can be mixed up to suit anyones' tastes. Browned ground beef or sausage can be added for a meaty version, or sauté some zucchini and tomatoes for a veggie lasagna. The possibilities are endless.
So stock up on lasagna noodles and enjoy a variety of delicious dishes.
Belle’s Lasagna Rolls
8 lasagna noodles
1 cup ricotta cheese
½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 cup spinach, finely chopped
½ cup mushrooms, chopped
¼ cup green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic salt
2½ cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Cover countertop with plastic wrap. Boil noodles for eight minutes. Carefully drain and place each noodle flat on the plastic wrap. Combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, spinach, mushrooms, onions, Italian seasoning and garlic salt.
Divide the mixture and spread it on each of the noodles. Spread one-quarter cup of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Roll up each noodle and place, seam side down, in the baking dish. Cover with the remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author, including the recently released "That's a Lot of Crock!" and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- New 'Annie' feels more functional than...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Black Captain America leading comic... 6
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 6
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 3
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2