Cockfighting still not a felony in Utah after Legislature fails to compromise
Sergey Ponomarev, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Cockfighting still won't be a felony in Utah after the House and Senate failed to come up with a compromise in the final hour of the legislative session Thursday.
After some debate, the House voted 43-28 to amend SB12, originally intended to make cockfighting a class A misdemeanor on the first offense and a third-degree felony on subsequent offenses.
The amendment made all offenses of intentionally causing "game fowl to fight with or injure another game fowl" a class A misdemeanor, said Rep. Brian Greene, R-Pleasant Grove, who proposed the amendment.
Greene said the severity of a felony should be reserved for "the most serious offenses" and that there are other ways to deal with social ills.
Rep. Johnny Anderson, R-Taylorsville, the bill's House sponsor, said he wanted to set a deterrent to match the 35 states that have made cockfighting a felony.
"Our hesitancy in taking action yet again will continue to make Utah the cockfighting capital west of the Mississippi," Anderson said.
The House then voted 62-10 to pass the bill. The Senate, however, refused to concur with the amendment. The House then refused to restore the original version.
A committee conference was called, but Sen. Gene Davis, D-Salt Lake City, the bill's sponsor, decided to let the bill die.
Cockfighting in Utah will remain a class B misdemeanor.
— Madeleine Brown
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back...
- Weighing in: The top 20 metro areas with the...
- Defending the Faith: Exploring complexities...
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a caucus a...
- Senate panel endorses LDS Church, LGBT backed...
- Murder trial ordered for teen in brutal...
- John Wall harbored hatred for ex-wife after...
- Sherry Young: Lose the game but not your...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back... 88
- Defending the Faith: Exploring... 48
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a... 45
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 28
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 28
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert's Healthy Utah plan... 25