Cockfighting still not a felony in Utah after Legislature fails to compromise
Sergey Ponomarev, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Cockfighting still won't be a felony in Utah after the House and Senate failed to come up with a compromise in the final hour of the legislative session Thursday.
After some debate, the House voted 43-28 to amend SB12, originally intended to make cockfighting a class A misdemeanor on the first offense and a third-degree felony on subsequent offenses.
The amendment made all offenses of intentionally causing "game fowl to fight with or injure another game fowl" a class A misdemeanor, said Rep. Brian Greene, R-Pleasant Grove, who proposed the amendment.
Greene said the severity of a felony should be reserved for "the most serious offenses" and that there are other ways to deal with social ills.
Rep. Johnny Anderson, R-Taylorsville, the bill's House sponsor, said he wanted to set a deterrent to match the 35 states that have made cockfighting a felony.
"Our hesitancy in taking action yet again will continue to make Utah the cockfighting capital west of the Mississippi," Anderson said.
The House then voted 62-10 to pass the bill. The Senate, however, refused to concur with the amendment. The House then refused to restore the original version.
A committee conference was called, but Sen. Gene Davis, D-Salt Lake City, the bill's sponsor, decided to let the bill die.
Cockfighting in Utah will remain a class B misdemeanor.
— Madeleine Brown
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12