BYU tennis: freshman Savannah Ware named WCC Player of the Week
No. 64 BYU women’s tennis player Savannah Ware earned her first West Coast Conference Singles Player of the Week award, the league announced Thursday.
In her first season of collegiate tennis, the freshman has been solid in her contribution to BYU's 4-4 start. Ware has posted a 12-6 record with a 6-2 mark in dual match play. Last week at the sixth singles slot, Ware downed Nevada's Juliette Legendre, 6-1, 6-0, as BYU won 5-2 on Thursday.
Saturday she followed that win with a match-clinching victory over Brooke Irish of San Francisco as the Cougars won 4-3. Ware split the first two sets, 6-4, 0-6, before coming back from 2-5 to win 7-5 in the third. This was the second time this season she has clinched a 4-3 win.
Pepperdine’s junior Lorraine Guillermo and freshman Apichaya Runglerdkriangkrai were named WCC Doubles Team of the Week.
BYU is on the road this weekend against No. 50 Yale on Friday at 1:30 p.m. MDT and No. 28 Arizona State on Saturday at noon.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- BYU basketball officially adds transfer guard...
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to transfer to UVU
- College football countdown No. 36: BYU...
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 35
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15