BYU tennis: freshman Savannah Ware named WCC Player of the Week
No. 64 BYU women’s tennis player Savannah Ware earned her first West Coast Conference Singles Player of the Week award, the league announced Thursday.
In her first season of collegiate tennis, the freshman has been solid in her contribution to BYU's 4-4 start. Ware has posted a 12-6 record with a 6-2 mark in dual match play. Last week at the sixth singles slot, Ware downed Nevada's Juliette Legendre, 6-1, 6-0, as BYU won 5-2 on Thursday.
Saturday she followed that win with a match-clinching victory over Brooke Irish of San Francisco as the Cougars won 4-3. Ware split the first two sets, 6-4, 0-6, before coming back from 2-5 to win 7-5 in the third. This was the second time this season she has clinched a 4-3 win.
Pepperdine’s junior Lorraine Guillermo and freshman Apichaya Runglerdkriangkrai were named WCC Doubles Team of the Week.
BYU is on the road this weekend against No. 50 Yale on Friday at 1:30 p.m. MDT and No. 28 Arizona State on Saturday at noon.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- BYU football: Five questions with a Middle...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Utah's Delon Wright and BYU's Tyler Haws make...
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 79
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 59
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 41
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Utah State leads local schools in newly... 29