Utah man who abused autistic teen at rec center makes second parole bid
Taggart Anderton admitted that he had been using meth heavily for about two years at the time he sexually assaulted the Petersons' son, and agreed to follow the release guidelines for sex offenders if paroled. He also offered the Peterson family an apology.
"I'm very sorry for what happened at the rec center that day. I didn't intend for that to happen." Anderton said. "I hope (the victim) gets better."
The Petersons have spent thousands of dollars in child support to pay for their son's care, and travel to see him whenever they can. They've also become extremely protective of their two younger sons, refusing to allow them to use public restrooms alone or sleep over at friends' homes.
"We try to keep them with us all the time," Marv Peterson said. "I'm just so scared."
Jones, the parole board hearing officer, touched on that fear when informing Anderton what his recommendation will be.
"Not only did you victimize a young kid, but the family and as well as all of Vernal," he said. "Because every parent that takes their kids (to the rec center) now are on guard because of what you did.
"To me," Jones added, "I just think that you've done such a dastardly deed, that you ought to stay here for the entire sentence."
The parole board's decision should be finalized in about a month. If it follows Jones' recommendation, Anderton would be released from prison in March 2024.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 61
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 47
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15