Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
A week removed from opening their 2014 outdoor seasons, the Utah Valley men's and women's track and field teams travel to Southern California to take part at Cal State Fullerton's Ben Brown Invitational as well as Occidental College's Oxy Distance Carnival. The meets will be contested on Friday and Saturday in the Los Angeles area.
The Ben Brown Invitational will be held at Fullerton's Titan Track Complex and just the hammer the javelin throws will take place Friday. The majority of the meet will then be held Saturday. The women's long jump will kick off Saturday's action at 9 a.m. PT, while the running events will get going at 10 with the men's 400-meter hurdles. The meet will then close at 8:35 p.m. with the running of the men's 5000m.
The Oxy Distance Carnival will run Friday at the Bill Henry Olympic Track at Occidental College. The 110m hurdles will open the meet at 2:30 p.m., and the distance events will then begin in the evening. The 10,000m run will close the meet at 10:45 p.m.
Utah Valley swept all four WAC Track Athlete of the Week honors on Tuesday as junior Mike Fogt and freshman Ryle Williams earned the men's honors, and junior Ivie Gonsalves and freshman Lauren Hicks took home the women's. Williams and Hicks set school records in the high jump and the triple jump, respectively, last weekend at the UNLV Classic, and Fogt and Gonsalves finished first and second in the 100 and 200 and the 5000 and 1500, respectively.
Following a third-place finish for UVU's men's team and a fourth place one for UVU's women at the WAC Indoor Championships, the Wolverines' opened their outdoor campaigns at UNLV last weekend with 16 first-place outings. Behind Fogt, Williams, Gonsalves and Hicks' victories and fantastic showings, UVU also received victories from Bailey Cranford and Bennie Foster in the pole vault, Samantha Reeves(100m), Mike Keith (400m), Chris Dorton (800m), Kyler Sprague (110m hurdles), Jacob Peterson (400m hurdles), Levi Ball (pole vault), Bryce Richards (triple jump), Jason Lynch (3000m) and Seth Gutzwiller (5000m).
The UNLV Track Classic was team scored, and the men's team won the meet with 60 points while the women's squad took second with 73.50.
Follow this weekend's meets in SoCal, Utah Valley will return home to host the UVU Collegiate at the Hal Wing Track and Field on Friday, March 28.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating 'love...
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend with...
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to Friday...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating... 1
- UVU golf: Nyhus selected as WAC... 0
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0