Adrin Snider, Deseret News Archives
SALT LAKE CITY — The Governor’s Office of Economic Development and Houweling’s Tomatoes announced Thursday the company will build an environmentally friendly greenhouse tomato farm in Juab County that is expected to create more than 280 new jobs.
The Utah facility is expected to yield nearly $18.2 million in new state taxes and $267.9 million in new state wages. The jobs created will pay at least 100 percent of the Juab County average wage. Each incented position will include company-contributed health insurance.
The project will require $79 million in capital investment and will be carried out in two phases. The first phase, comprised of 28.3 acres, is projected to generate annual sales of about $23.3 million.
The new facility will employ state-of-the-art climate control and sustainability technology, using waste heat from a nearby natural gas-fired electrical generation facility.
The technology will enable Houweling to operate with a low carbon footprint. Also, the facility will utilize waste carbon dioxide from the generator stack to provide fertilization to tomato crops.
Houweling’s Tomatoes comprises Houweling Nurseries Oxnard Inc. in southern California and Houweling Nurseries Ltd. in Delta, British Columbia. The group consists of two greenhouse facilities that grow and sell fresh greenhouse tomatoes. The company currently employs 750 people.
Each company operates autonomously under common ownership of the Houweling family. The group intends to follow this pattern and create a separate legal entity for its Utah operations.
“My passion is growing fresh, great-tasting tomatoes,” said Casey Houweling, president and chief executive officer. “Our farm will not only offer great employment opportunities in Juab County, it will ensure that the people of Utah can enjoy locally grown, fresh, delicious tomatoes 365 days a year.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: JasenLee1
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Minor earthquake shakes southern Utah town
- Man saves 8-year-old sister-in-law from...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 64
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12