Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Children ages 2 to 9 who have autism spectrum disorders would be covered by health benefit plans beginning Jan. 1, 2016, under a bill approved Wednesday night by the House.
SB57, sponsored by Sen. Brian Shiozawa, R-Cottonwood Heights, requires health benefit plans in the individual market or large group market to provide coverage for the treatment of autism spectrum disorders.
Under the bill, treatment plans would have to be assessed every six months.
The amended bill must be approved by the Senate. The bill, which sunsets the coverage on Jan. 1, 2019, provides a waiver for insurers if premium costs increase more than a certain percentage.
Rep. Kay McIff, R-Richfield, said SB57 “is an idea whose time has come.”
Passage of the bill “is historic for the people, and it’s a good thing for us to do,” he said.
Rep. Edward Redd, R-Logan, who is a physician, said he has treated several adults with autism spectrum disorders who did not receive treatment as children.
“Some of these adults require expensive supports to stay alive,” he said.
Several representatives lauded Shiozawa for his leadership and patience in balancing the interests of patients and health care plans.
The bill’s House sponsor, Rep. Brad Dee, R-Ogden, urged the bill’s passage.
“Help me support these families. Help me support this bill,” he said.
The bill passed on a vote of 69-3.
— Marjorie Cortez
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after...
- Payson woman found dead in duffel bag near...
- Duct tape prom attire earns Utah teens $5,000...
- Salt Lake City mayor's spokesman placed on...
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Family touched by tragedy gives back to Orem...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 143
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 47
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 35
- Salt Lake protesters take their message... 18