WAC regular season champion and top seed Utah Valley University opens the 2014 WAC Tournament with a quarterfinal contest against No. 8 seed Texas-Pan American on Thursday at noon PT from the Orleans Arena.
The Wolverines (19-10) finished the WAC regular season with a 13-3 record, winning the title in their first season as members of the league. Texas-Pan American (9-22) finished tied with Seattle U and Bakersfield at 5-11 in WAC play and is the No. 8 seed due to tiebreakers.
"Both teams will be very excited for the opening game of the WAC Tournament," said UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker, who was named the Don Haskins Coach of the Year in a vote by WAC coaches.
Utah Valley won both games between the schools during the regular season, winning 67-53 at UTPA before a 45-42 win at the UCCU Center in a defensive battle. The winner of Thursday's game will face the winner of the Kansas City/Idaho quarterfinal. That game is scheduled for 6 p.m. PT on Friday.
The Wolverines are led by Holton Hunsaker's 13.6 points per game and Ben Aird's 8.2 rebounds. Aird, who averages 11.7 ppg, is 11 boards shy of becoming the first UVU players with 1,000 career rebounds. Both players were named to the all-WAC first team on Sunday, marking the second straight season the two were first team all-conference.
The Broncs are led by Javorn Farrell's 16.1 points and Shaquille Boga's 13.1 points per game. Farrell did not play in the game on March 1 at Utah Valley, while Boga averaged 17.0 ppg in the two contests against the Wolverines.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37